I need help with a bad Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdminJean

Beta member
okay well , my PC hard drive will not boot and I need to get some files out of there.

I'm going to download a file recovery program and install it on my laptop but for right now the first thing I want to know is how can I connect that PC hard drive to my laptop so I can pull the files out with the file recovery program?

also what freeware is out there that recovers files?
Thanks.

for that kind of issue, i normally boot into my knoppix linux live cd...and recover the files that way

If you have a speare machine, pop the hard drive in and run it on there, try and nab a mates computer :D And H4x3rs way of booting to a "Live CD" of Linux is another way to go about it. IF you cant get another computer and you need to use your laptop, then you cannot directly connect it tot he controller, you would have to get a USB to IDE converter, these work nicely if you can get hold of one, or you could use an external drive enclosure and use that, although the firmware may not be ont he drive to work :s

Hope this Helps

Ruan

RGELLIS said:
If you have a speare machine, pop the hard drive in and run it on there, try and nab a mates computer :D And H4x3rs way of booting to a "Live CD" of Linux is another way to go about it. IF you cant get another computer and you need to use your laptop, then you cannot directly connect it tot he controller, you would have to get a USB to IDE converter, these work nicely if you can get hold of one, or you could use an external drive enclosure and use that, although the firmware may not be ont he drive to work :s

Hope this Helps

Ruan

I have already tried the "use another pc" option but the hard drive still won't boot. On the original pc it came from (pentium 2) , I get a "no signal being sent, check cable connection" on the monitor and a loud beeping noise coming from the tower. When I swapped it into a newer pc (emachines pentium 4) , I get a "cant read hard drive " message or something of that sort , I cant really remember.

Its actually two hard drives that I need to get files from, the one from the old pc just stopped working after a couple of years , I would have to reboot the machine several times until it was able to read from the hard drive again but it can no longer boot at all. The other was trashed I believe by me by accident when I unknowingly used a magnetic tipped screw driver to remove it for something I was doing with the pc at the time.

Ill give the usb to ide converter idea a shot. Thanks .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom