Computer overheating???

Status
Not open for further replies.

spizzle

Baseband Member
Ok, so a couple weeks ago, my computer just suddenly shut off. When I go to start it up regularly, it gets to the screen where Windows is loading. Right after that, it goes black, and then my screen goes into sleep mode, and I can't do anything with my computer. Now, I thought it was a virus or somethin, but I can start it up in safe mode. Eventually it'll do the same thing after being on in safe mode. It's done the same in the BIOS as well.

The reason I think it's overheating is because I stuck a fan behind it the other night, and it stayed on for nearly 4 hours. As soon as I moved the fan, it died 5 minutes later. It feels like both of my fans are working on my computer, so I'm not sure why it's doing this. Can anyone help me to fix it??? I really don't want to have to leave a huge box fan behind my computer 24/7.

No dice on that one. I'm running a Dell and this is right in the help manual.

"Is it possible to detect temperatures, voltage values and fan status of Dell computers?

Dell computers use a proprietary sensor chip that is undocumented and so cannot be supported by EVEREST."

When I feel the back two vents on my computer, it feels like the one in the middle of the computer is suckin in air, and the one on the top is blowin out warm air?? I know the middle one has a scoop which pushes the air onto the heat sinks on the motherboard I think.

D/L'd motherboard monitor, went to select my motherboard, saw that it had mine listed, got excited and clicked it......

"Not supported." :mad:

I'll try the BIOS thing later. My comp is up and running right now with the courtesy of a box fan sitting behind it.... Funny thing is it won't start up at all unless I start it in safe mode, and then restart it. What the **** is wrong with this piece? :eek:

If thats a problem, then the controller which does the fans might be f***** and the way to sort this is to link the fan header to the +12v which should cool her nicely!

Ok, so I don't think it's my motherboard fans or w/e. Both of the fans on the back of my computer are working. I can see them working. This is the funny part.... The other day, I stuck a box fan behind my computer, and it stayed on for over 3 1/2 hours in safe mode, while I backed up all my stuff to another computer. My plan was to just reformat and hope that solved it. It ran in regular mode for a little bit, and as soon as I turned the box fan off, it died 5 minutes later.

So I popped my computer apart today, and checked all my stuff out. It looks like my graphics card fan is not working. Could this be causing my problem??? :amazed:

EDIT: Trying to turn my computer on into the BIOS to check my CPU temps and what not, but now it won't turn back on. Once I turn it on for a while, and then it dies, it doesn't want to start back up at all. Please help me... I'm videogame-less and this really sucks.

did you accidentally knock any connections when you opened it? check the bag plug connections. Hope you were not all static and started touching computer components. Also yes the graphics card fan might just be the problem take it out and see if you have a friend who will lend you theres to test it. Make sure its compatible.

baronvongogo said:
did you accidentally knock any connections when you opened it? check the bag plug connections. Hope you were not all static and started touching computer components. Also yes the graphics card fan might just be the problem take it out and see if you have a friend who will lend you theres to test it. Make sure its compatible.
No, I know I didn't mess up anything vital because I never opened it up before it started acting up. Well, I had, but not for a long time. I checked all the connections too, and they're all solid.

I might have my ooollddddd Nvidia MX420 layin around here.... but for some reason I'm thinkin it's out in storage. WEAK!!!!! :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom