my buddy on a honda forum I moderate is having a problem:

Anyone?

Ok I recently upgraded my computer(2 months ago) with these parts

XFX Geforce 7600GT 256MB PCI Express x16
AMD Athlon 64 3700
MSI K8N Diamond Plus Socket 939
CORSAIR XMS 2GB PC 3200
Rosewell 550W PSU

The probelm is when I turn on the computer, it stays on for like 5 mins and then turns off automaticaly. I tried a new PSU(650W XFX) but didnt solve the problem.
I noticed one of the chipsets on the board was getting realy hot because the fan was like 7" away connected with a hollow tube(Bad engineering i guess) so I bought a small fan and placed it on top the bare chipset but its still doing the same thing.
Thought it was the CPU getting overheated and I put new heat sink/fan and was monitoring the temp. It was 31C/86F and the computer just shutdown. I removed the heatsink to check the CPU and it wasnt hot.
Funny thing is after it shuts down, it will turn back on automaticaly without me touching the switch and powers off again within 10 seconds. Think its the bad switch because the case was just a generic.

it maby a virus

i had somehting like that before and it shut me off every ten mintutes.

i used avasta and got rid of it

hope this helps and best of luck to ya

Does it happen while in Windows? If it does, check the Event Viewer. Right click my computer > manage > Event Viewer. Then check in all 3 sections for errors that occured around when your computer restarts. It could possibly be that you are getting Blue Screens of Death, and Windows is restarting. To double check this, go to System properties > advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > UN-check Automatically restart. Next time your system fails, it will show the error code and we can figure out the problem from there. Most common BSOD causes that I have seen are in the RAM, or Hard Drive, but we won't know till we find out.

john3 said:
how do u do check event viewer if computer shuts down?
By check event viewer in the 10 minutes before it shuts down.
@zeppelinfan2009 dont think it could be a virus since it turns the pc back on?

WTF? He doesn't even have an OS installed? Well there's obviously a hardware problem there. My only guess would've been the PSU, but obviously you've factored that one out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom