Freezing Matsonic 8308EP w/ AthlonXP-1500+

Status
Not open for further replies.

navilein

Solid State Member
Hi,
I have a Matsonic 8308EP mobo with an AthlonXP 1500+ processor, and it freezes randomly.
I had some bad capacitors on the mobo. I've changed all of that type (2200uF). There are some others on the mobo, but they are of different type and don't seem to be damaged. Now, my computer freezes randomly, wheather it is in the process of booting, or afterwards -- it never fails to freeze.

Also, it happens that sometimes my computer would not boot at all. I turn it on and it would not start: the screen remains blank. I can not get it out of this state no matter how many times I restart it and no matter what I do, except one thing: take off the heatsink from the processor, turn it on, let it automatically shut off because overheating, put back the heatsink on the processor, and next time i restart, it WORKS!!! -- of course, temporarly: it boots (or at least tries to) and sooner or later will freeze again.

Can anyone help please ?

Thanks a bunch!

yes, i did replaced a bunch of capacitors on the mobo.
however, the mobo still works, because the computer boots some times (now i am writting from it) --- but it freezes spontaneously and randomly.

i was looking for another type of suggestion thought...
thanks!

Well i doubt anybody will be able to help you on this one, the only thing i can say is that you are getting systems lockups and freezes probably due to power fluctuations that exceeds what the system was designed to handle.

But in this day and age, you dont replace parts like capacitors or stuff of that matter on a motherboard. Its just one of those deals if its broken.... you toss it and get another one. And the socket A motherboards are pretty cheap too!

sorry uzi9mm, didn't mean to be a jerk.... this is just my compy and can't buy another mobo. put a lot of effort in fixing the bad caps and everything, and won't just throw it to the garbage

no hardfeelings, ok ? :)

thanks for your reply. i tried to PM but this message is too long for PM...

i replaced all capacitors that were bulging. there are some left, but their top is all flat, they seem to be in good shape, and they are of a different values than the ones which were bad (these are 1800uF, and all the bad ones were 2200uF).
i did not add any new hardware.
i will get a multimeter and measure the PSU. however, the voltages that I get in linux with lm_sensors are these:

it87-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore 1: +1.74 V (min = +1.42 V, max = +1.57 V) ALARM
VCore 2: +2.48 V (min = +2.40 V, max = +2.61 V)
+3.3V: +6.50 V (min = +3.14 V, max = +3.46 V) ALARM
+5V: +5.00 V (min = +4.76 V, max = +5.24 V)
+12V: +12.35 V (min = +11.39 V, max = +12.61 V)
-12V: -1.34 V (min = -12.63 V, max = -11.41 V) ALARM
-5V: -9.07 V (min = -5.26 V, max = -4.77 V) ALARM
Stdby: +4.95 V (min = +4.76 V, max = +5.24 V)
VBat: +3.42 V
fan1: 5113 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 3013 RPM, div = 8) ALARM
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2) ALARM
M/B Temp: +34 C (low = +15 C, high = +40 C) sensor = thermistor
CPU Temp: +44 C (low = +15 C, high = +45 C) sensor = thermistor
Temp3: +27 C (low = +15 C, high = +45 C) sensor = thermistor

thereis something wierd with teh +3V, -12V and -5V, but i guess it is only this software's problem, because I checked in BIOS and I get different results for these two values. the results are very close to what they have to be, so I assume that was only this software's problem.

i'll try to get a multimeter and check measure the PSU
thansk.

jeremy wrote on 06-08-2006 07:34 AM:
some capacitors might still be bad , its not only leaking that matters its their top , if its bulging it aint good , examples
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/cap1.jpg
http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200302/capblown_3.jpg

did you add new hardware recently?

could be the psu , i suggest youll get a digital multimeter from some local electronics store and measure the psu voltages with it, guides:
http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html
http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/
of course they can be measured via software or bios aswell but a multimeter will give 100% accurate readings and some mobo sensors are way off

hi,
i've managed to do the measurements.
for the 3.3V I measure around 3.25V
for the 5 V I measure around 5.10V
for teh 12V I measure around 12.40V

by the around above I mean it varies in the range of +/- 0.05V around that value.
all the measurements were done directly on the motherboard while the computer was up and running in a pretty high stress: (compiling)

they seem ok to me. what do you think about ?

they look good
reseat the ram/video card/4pin plug , its possible the case is shorting the mobo i suggest youll get it out of it , put it on a non conductive surface like a cardboard and see how it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom