Video Upgrade was a Dud :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. Well, here is the artice I just mentioned : http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/evga_e-geforce_7800_gs_co_superclock_review/

And this review shows their entire test rig only drawing about 250W with a 7800GS : http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=205&type=expert&pid=16

Plus I can't find any power supplies with 24A 12V rails. I see some with two 12V rails that are 16A and 18A.

I don't mind buying a new power supply if need be, but I don't see why my 420W supply wouldn't work. Is it just a piece of junk?

basically yes it is a piece of junk haha. how can you not find any psu's with 24a rails? do you have a price range? get the seasonic 500w or 600w both good

After doing some browsing I'm thinking about purchasing an Antec True Power 2.0 550W PSU because it says it ATX12V compliant and seems to offer good performance for the price. Here is a link :
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270001

It has two different 12V rails that each run at 19A. That is 38A total so I imagine that is better than a single 24A rail.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me trouble-shoot this!

Not only that u need like 24A on teh 12v rail in order to run that thing.
Mines only got 22A and I'm pretty sure I run more than him, plus RAM, CPU, and GPU is overclocked for me :)

That PSU you're looking at isn't bad, I'm just not a fan of the dual rails myself. Basically you have your main 20/24pin plug and that little 4 pin plug and that's all +12v power directed for the motherboard and CPU.

Then through all the little molex connectors is your second rail. Personally I'd rather just have 38A across one rail since the chances of you using up 19A just for the motherboard and CPU alone are pretty slim, but using up 19A across molex connectors through graphics cards, hard drives, fans, etc... is pretty easy to do IMO.

Considering the system you have, that PSU will be fine except for the fact it's out of stock right now :p

I got a dual rail 12v heh, i believe its a 18a and 12a or something like that.

Correction, my dual 12v rails are 17a and 19a respectively.

Well, I installed that Antec 550W power supply and it works nicely, but it doesn't make a bit of difference for my frame rate.

A friend of mine say it could be bad RAM, but I don't think so because I bought performance Corsair chips, and because he said replacing the RAM prevented his computer from crashing during gaming, which is a different problem.

I guess it could be a crappy motherboard, but I don't think there is any way to tell without replacing it, is there? Then I would just want to buy a newer mobo with PCI Express instead of AGP.

Too much heat was my other thought, but then I would start off with better frame rates and they would get worse as I played longer. That doesn't seem to be the case here. After a couple hours of gaming I checked the GPU core temp. and it said 54 C, which is about 129 F. Is that above normal?

The mobo is an Intel D875PBZ. I'm going to download the latest drivers and see if I can find a BIOS update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom