Building PC .. Athlon 64 X2 or wait for Conroe??? ($1400 setup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagine6251

Solid State Member
I am planning on building this setup although I'm not sure if I should wait for Conroe's arrival.. This setup costs roughly $1300 and I'm wondering if i can build a Conroe setup for around the same price.. Will the Conroe be much faster than this Athlon 3800??? Also, if i wait and do get Conroe, what mobo, gpu, and ram would you reccomend.

This is the setup that I had planned:

$300 CPU - Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.0 Gig Dual Core)
$135 MOBO - ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939
$280 GPU - eVGA Geforce 7900GT
$75 HD - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB
$190 MEM - CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual
$90 PSU - Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W Power Supply
$40 DVD - SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner
$166 CASE - Lian Li PC-V1000 Aluminum Case

Thank you for your help. I'm a AMD user and was dedicated to get the new dual athlon, but it seems like Intel is serious about getting ahead of the athlon this time.. So I would like to know if this is worth the wait..

If you can also include newegg links on the best intel parts to get which will accompany a conroe (as some of you might have already built the setup!) it would be very helpful.

Thanks guys! :D

Now that wait for Conroe is an option...

Wait for Conroe! If not to get the Conroe, but at least to see how they perform against eachother. Besides, it will only be a few weeks I think.

You cant go wrong either way. Get a AM2 now which will be dirt cheap in a week or two and get the 65nm coming out in the winter, all you would need to replace is the processor. Conroe will more then likely destroy anything AMD has out right now and will be out end of July.Before someone jumps on me I'm not saying it will destory AMD is because I want to see retail versions tested, not ones Intel hands out personally.

Piece of advice, if you go Conroe wait till September before you buy it, give them a month to work out the quirks and let the price die a little. But either way you don't really hurt yourself much.

Get an AM2 now? Are conroes operating on AM2 mobos? Also is Conroe a 65nm cpu? Sorry I'm confused about your reply....

If I do wait for Conroe, I will most likely get it when it comes out in late july.. (the 2.4G for $313) Considering that the Athlon 3800 is the same price with the 2.4 Conroe...

How do AMD fans feel about this new intel product?

I don't get what you mean by "Controe" - General... There is no such thing, but you can make yourself more clear if you'd like.. Unless you don't know anything and like making no-sense..

What is your opinions/system configurations for the conroe?

Thanks!

The Conroes will not be socket AM2, as far as I know, they will be socket 775 for now. I don't know much about Intel, so thats pretty much all I know about it other than it gets 10sec SuperPI's and kicks butt!

I am an AMD guy, and I think Conroe may be freaking awesome when it comes out, but AMD will blow it away at some point. Probably in late 2007.

I'm glad you can be a jerk and act like you didn't know that was a typo. Guess I will no longer try to help you ever again.

I say wait for Conroe. If you decide to not get a Conroe the prices on the AM2s will have gone down. So either way it's a win win. Plus you can also try and scrounge up some more cash as well.

AM2 isn't a new processor it's a new socket type for there processors. A Conroe I believe is a 60nm and they will be on 975x motherboards or something like that.

Didn't mean to confuse you so I'll be a little more clear.

All I've ever used in AMD so I'm gonna be honest and admit I'm biased towards AMD. But not to the point where I'ma die hard fanboy and won't admit defeat.

Conroe is going to be better then anything AMD has out by far so long as what they put out is equal to what they are letting people test, which is more then likely the case. If you get one in July, which there is no promise you will because this thing is going to fly off the shelves if it even makes it there, it will more then likely be bugged in a few ways as most technology is.

$313 is a suggested retail price given out by Intel, retailers may choose to go higher or lower at there choice. My guess is it will more then likely be higher because of the huge demand it will be in, want proof read a few pages of these forums and see how many are going to get Conroe. Could be wrong, have been in the past and will be int he future.

Like I said above, you can't go wrong either way. The processors for AM2 are no where near obsolete as some people here will lead you to believe. In the winter AMD will release a processor near the level of the Conroe, not as powerful but much closer then they are now. By next spring they should be on par or above Intel unless Intel pushes out Quad-core at the same time.

Technology, especially processors and Video Cards, are always changing and evolving. You can get Conroe the day it comes out and within 6 months you'll be behind in the times. It's a fact of life, few people can afford to have the latest and greatest computer at all times.

Honestly, just go with the company you have more faith in. I'm with AMD so I'll get an AM2 and the 4000, and in winter upgrade to there newer processors. And if K8L isn't a bankbuster and it keeps the AM2 socket then I'll go ahead and upgrade to that as well.

If you want power now then go with Conroe as soon as it comes out, it's an amazing piece of equipment and stomps all over AMD right now and will last you for a good year atleast. Or you can get a AM2 processor, which like I said ina week will be dirt cheap because AMD is doing some serious price slashing to keep them in competition with Intel and Conroe. Upgrade in winter and you won't be to far behind Conroe.

Ok Conroe is a 65nm CPU. This CPU will kill anything right about now; however AMD is releasing 65nm CPU in December, which will match up if not beat the Conroe. You should build an AM2 computer with a simple CPU then save and wait until December, that's when you get AMD's new CPU.

imagine6251, maybe you should clear up your own posts and actually research what you are saying before you pull someone up over a single typo when your posts are littered with grammatical errors not to mention things like this

Get an AM2 now? Are conroes operating on AM2 mobos? Also is Conroe a 65nm cpu? Sorry I'm confused about your reply....

and then making a comment like this

I don't get what you mean by "Controe" - General... There is no such thing, but you can make yourself more clear if you'd like.. Unless you don't know anything and like making no-sense..

now that my little gripe is out my reccomendation is to wait until the release of conroe and see how price to performance pans out. sure we can guess about the performance of the retail versions and their prices but i don't think it would be wise to make this sort of a decision when within a matter of a month or so we can find out for sure. you would feel as if you cheated yourself if the price to performance margin really is as good or better than the hype suggests and you bought AM2 now

edit:
Ok Conroe is a 65nm CPU. This CPU will kill anything right about now; however AMD is releasing 65nm CPU in December, which will match up if not beat the Conroe. You should build an AM2 computer with a simple CPU then save and wait until December, that's when you get AMD's new CPU.

reggie unless there are architectural changes or they are planning on ramping the clock speed on the new smaller die process it will not make it a better performing cpu at all. throughout AMD's history they have made many such transitions and it brings NO performance increase other than reduced heat dump and consequently higher overclocks/higher stock clock speeds. the change itself does not make a difference

they are planning on ramping up clockspeeds....with the december chips.. am2 actually is feasible now... i think im going to do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom