can anyone give me good tips on how to build a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonyg

Solid State Member
same as topic. i need good websites to help me step by step. im a newb at this but im a very quick learner.

Dont fry anything.

I think your gonna have to be a little less broad.

I posted the same question a while back.........Search in the "Overclocking, Building and Case Mods" forum.

dont use mini cases they are a pain i the arse if you have a lot of stuff to get in, i should know, i thought, hey this looks kool, and then i had problems getting everything in, so DONT BUY MINI CASES

Stay away from Soyo mobo's. I've nothing but headaches trying to fire up their boards.

Soyo boards are the best athlon boards out there, chances are, he is new to computers and didnt want to take the time to configure it and work out the kinks of his new computer. Which happens for a few days after every new computer you build.

i already bought my stuff. i have a p4 2.4, 60gb hd, 512 ddr ram pc2100, gforce4 64mb mx440, 350 watt atx case, and lighting for the case. please reply i need good pictures on what to do step by step. my uncle said its real easy. i have a ecs p4vxasd2.

i just built a athlon 2100 with a asus a7v8x mobo, 512 MB of kingston PC3200 ram and a radeon 8500 (i'll upgrade to the radeon 9700 pro if it ever gets cheaper)

I highly recommend going athlon the VIA KT400 chipset , or you can try the nForce chipset but i really dont like that one personaly..

if i were you i'd stear clear of "gigabyte" and "ECS" motherboards, i know so many people who had problems with those, abits are good but in benchmarks they dont compare to the ASUS mobo's with the same chipsets (how very odd..lol)

DONT GET A JANKY POWER SUPPLY OR SALVAGE AN OLD ONE!!!!

i cant stress that enough, so many people i've known over the years try to cut corner with power supplies, computer components are very picky about the amount of power they get and when a janky powersupply can cause your computer to lockup/freeze and eventualy surge and fry everything (i know 5 people this has happened to online and in life not including store bought computers, 9 including store boughts)

thermaltake, antec, enlight and inwin are good IMO

anthonyg said:
i already bought my stuff. i have a p4 2.4, 60gb hd, 512 ddr ram pc2100, gforce4 64mb mx440, 350 watt atx case, and lighting for the case. please reply i need good pictures on what to do step by step. my uncle said its real easy. i have a ecs p4vxasd2.

damn what type of mobo? PC2100? errr thats old man should have went with PC3200...

well first lay the mobo down on a static shielding plastic cheat (should have came with one) on a hard surface, read the instructions and put the processor in, if you see a thermal tape on the heatsink dont use thermal paste, or try to scratch the tape off (tape doesent work as well) and use the past anyway. dont gouge the heatsink... once thats done screw it into the case, pop everything in, connect the wires from the front panel and turn it on with your speakers connected, i dont know what mobo you have but most mobo's i've come into contact with have voice error messages that will tell you if something is wrong, I.E. "system failed memory test" "system failed CPU test" if nothing goes wrong put the cover on and proceed to setup bios and install OS....

Ground yourself and dont do it on a carpet floor damnit!! i cant stress that enough....

Another important note: Static electric shots can travel through you and into the components without you knowing it, you dont need to literaly experience a "shock" when shocking the mobo with static electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom