is my pc dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarantulatarama

Baseband Member
my laptop turns on, the lights light, the HDD spins, and the cd drive ejects. The only trouble is, there is absolutely nothing on the screen. Which makes diagnosing problems difficult.

The problem started when I re-initialised it using the manufacturers discs (ie restored the original factory settings having backed up all my data). During that process it restarted, but failed to boot, ie power on etc but no screen, as above.

What might be the problem? If it's likely to be terminal, I'm going to bury it with full honours for being such a stalwart over the last 6 years. (sniff!) :(

one thought I have had is that if the hard drive is dead, the bios (contained in chips on the motherboard?) should still show...unless the screen is dead, but I don't think so. The HDD doesn't spin for long enough; it's like it starts up but there's no instruction for it to load any OS. If the motherboard has died, then praps I could get a new motherboard?

If anyone might suggest confirmation that my laptop IS in fact dead (or not!), I'd be very grateful.

Well the HDD has nothing to do with showing stuff on the screen. I can shut off my rig and take the HDD out, and turn it on and it will have video..just telling me it doesn't have an OS to load.

So! I would be inclined to say either your MOBO is dead, your RAM is dead, or your GPU is dead.

And for future referance, a laptop is not a pc. ;)

[/QUOTE]So! I would be inclined to say either your MOBO is dead, your RAM is dead, or your GPU is dead.

And for future referance, a laptop is not a pc. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks crazed. is a GPU the same as a CPU?

also, for the uninitiated, praps you would care to differentiate between a pc and a laptop? I can appreciate the difference between a desktop and a laptop, but in my book, they are both personal computers (PCs) :)

thanks for your response.

I thought 'CPU' stood for Central Processing Unit - but we know what it means either way. And now we know what GPU stands for - thanks, Lord A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom