Dual booting XP home and 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm

Solid State Member
Hi. If somebody can help me here I will greatly appreciate it. Other threads on this issue did not addressed this clearly and microsoft articles did not help either. I will try to be as clear as possible.

1. I want to dual boot to 2 separate hard drives windows 2000 pro and XP home edition. I already have windows XP home installed in one hard drive and this hard drive is setup as the master hard drive in the primary IDE.

2. I have another drive with windows 98 installed (will delete and install 2000 on it) and this hard drive is setup as slave in a secondary IDE.

My goal is to keep my XP installation in that primary hard drive, install 2000 on the other hard drive which is setup as a slave in the secondary IDE, and have an option to dual boot to any of those hard drives at booting time without any problems.

Could you experts please give me the steps to accomplish this goal? What I need to do? What drive should I have in which IDE, etc.?

Looking forward to any of you guy's help.

JM

Ok there are 2 ways
1. Disconnect the Hard Drive you got XP installed on it (for not install 2000 on wrong place excedently) connect the one you want to install 2000 on do so connect XP as master and 2000 as Slave put the Boot on IDE 0 (the hard drive with XP) than in XP go to start > run write msconfig(this command does not work in 2000) go to boot or something like that i am on 2000 at moment as i am not home and cannot tell you exactly there you will see something like auto detect boot it should detect 2 windows and add the lines to double boot.
2. other way NOT TRIED NOT SURE IT WILL WORK i always install the newer windows AFTER the old once and i am not sure when you will have XP and install 2000 it will add this line automaticly other way around yes but this way i cannot tell you, you can try and do MSconfig than too but the risk here is installing windows 2000 on wrong place choose the way you want the 1st should be the best workable. 1 comment is that i am not sure this msconfig command works on XP Home but i think it should try it before installing

Hi and thank you for your help. I appreciate your time and help. However, I'm not sure I can follow the first instruction.

You said,

"Disconnect the Hard Drive you got XP installed on it (for not install 2000 on wrong place excedently) connect the one you want to install 2000 on do so connect XP as master and 2000 as Slave put the Boot on IDE 0"

Can you be more specific please? I have xp hard drive already setup as a master in the first Ide slot or primary and then the second hard drive in a secondary IDE as a slave. You said to disconnect the xp drive and set it up as a master? Again? If you can send me specific steps in a number order, I will greatly appreciate it.

J.M

Ok what i meant is
1.Disconnect the drive with XP
2.Connect the drive you want to install 2000
3.Install 2000
4. Connect XP drive back as master
5. Connect 2000 as secondary
6. Do boot from XP
7 Go to msconfig
Reminder check that msconfig works on XP home

Oh thank you so much bad-dog! Finally,

5. Connect 2000 as secondary.

Secondary (as a slave) on the primary ide in the same data bus channel, or on the secondary ide slot in the motherboard?

Also you said,

"put the Boot on IDE 0"

How can I accomplish that? Sorry, most of this is fairly new to me.

Thanks

"data bus channel cable" I meant. And yes, msconfig can be accessed in xp home.

Now I do have a problem with that... My xp has NTFS. I can't find information out there or instructions how to double boot xp and 2000 with 2 hard drives (ntfs).

Killians why it won't work ? i use XP Pro and Windows Server 2003 on NTFS works fine and JM really doesn't matter both work but better as slave on same cable i think than how you accomplish IDE0 boot if you have Pheonix Boot the blue one (BEST EVER) you choose boot first IDE0 if you have other usually it would be you choose the HDD you wanna boot from so or you choose IDE0 or on other Bios you choose the HDD that got XP on

I've always heard that using NTFS on a dual boot is a bad idea, and the best route is to make the booting partition fat32, then if you want you can make the second drive ntfs... could be wrong, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom