SuperMicro Motherboard...Is it a good value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klevenskiy

Baseband Member
Hi,
I am working in video game level design so i require a powerful workstation that is capable of both calculating a lot of data fast (to create my work) and to smoothly run the latest video games (to test my work).

So I have been looking at dual CPU and GPU systems. The problem was finding a motherboard that would support both of these. I need support for 2 Socket 940 processors with 1000MhZ FSB HyperTransport, support for SLI via PCI-e 16X, at least 8GB of DDR 400 Ram for future upgrading and several SATA ports.

The only motherboard I found that follows these characteristics is a SuperMicro H8DCi . The problem is that I have never heard of a "SuperMicro" brand before, nor did I find this MoBo on NVidia site in the list of SLI supported MoBos, even though it clearly states in this SuperMicro's MoBo's characteristics that it does have SLI support.

So I thought of asking you guys here. Do you know of this brand? Is it reliable? Does this card really have all the characteristics listed above? Is it worth the money?

Thank You in advance. :)

in MY opinion you should take that mobo u chose, i too had a bit of trouble finding a mobo with the specs you need, 32gigs ram would pwn on a gaming pc..EVEN 8 lmao anyway yeah go for it if thats the only one you found (after about an hour of searching)

I have used Supermicro boards in the past. They specialize in servers, heavy duty computing workstations, etc. They don't usually make mobos for overclockers, gamers and the like. Think of it as comparing a bulldozier to a Corvette. They are very reliable but not user friendly.

Supposivly if the os doesnt support the amount of ram you have it can slow down games like for example, going from 1gb to 2gb of ram can either lower, raise or leave the fps at the same in games but multitasking greatly increases. This issue imo, would cause me to just get two sperate computers. One with dual core opterons, 8gb ram and some nice hd space. Another with a 7900gtx, 2gb ram and a x2.

Pepsiboy700 said:
Supposivly if the os doesnt support the amount of ram you have it can slow down games like for example, going from 1gb to 2gb of ram can either lower, raise or leave the fps at the same in games but multitasking greatly increases. This issue imo, would cause me to just get two sperate computers. One with dual core opterons, 8gb ram and some nice hd space. Another with a 7900gtx, 2gb ram and a x2.

Probably the better option, but it can get expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom