Broke off video card part..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipp080

Baseband Member
Today when I took out my video card I noticed one of the tall cylinders on the card ( dunno what they are called), was really lose and about to fall off, so I nudged it a bit and it came right off. Well my computer started up with out it, and I am currently installing windows XP because, it is a new system (but old card, ti4200), anyways, was that piece important?

The piece is silver and has 3 numbers on the top

2D
6V

Lol, I remember a similar accident occured when I was putting in my Radeon 9600 XT.

While pushing it in, I accidentally knocked over one of those cylinder things, but lockily it didnt fall off. It was just bent, so i bent it back in place so that it was standing upwards like it was before, and it worked, thank God. :)

If you bent it over it don't matter.....you could jsut leave it bent over and it would still work. Zipp080, if your card is still under warranty I would take it back and get a new one, but if it's not then I wouldn't use it anymore. You should solder it back into place with silver bearing solder and a 20watt soldering pencil. That capacitor is very important and you are either risking frieing your video card or it's just being underpowered which will greatly reduce it's performance.

After you have soldered it back into place then put it back into your computer. You can get silver bearing solder at any radio shack for $4 (U.S. dollars)

I mean, its obviosly on there for a reason, otherwise it would just be wasting space and money. The importance of the peice is the issue here, if it still seems to work then its probably not to major and is just going to cause a slight decrease in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom