Hdd Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtwill040

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

I've had a maxtor 40GB hard drive for sometime now. Had full capacity.

I then wanted to try linux, so i installed it. Could use both xp and Linux Debian.

Decided one day to delete it and keep xp. Deleted the Grub?? Linux aswel then realised i had to format the mbr. So i did it.

Now my 40GB hdd only shows as 31GB.

I formatted the hard drive again and reinstalled xp but same problem. I would normally get around 38-39GB formatted on FAT32 or NTFS.
But i keep getting 31GB. Is there a way to edit something to recognise the drive is a 40GB drive?

Thanks for any help

wait did u partition it, meaning u partition 8GB to be used by Linux right? i wonder if there is a way to unpartition a hard disk.

Also by loading XP computer management, and looking at the disk management. It doesnt show the linux part or an unkown partition. Maybe i completely balls'd it :mad:

mebe, not sure if there is a way to unpartition a hard disk, but im guessing thats ur problem, might as well use linux then, haha.

I removed it because i couldnt get my nvidia card to display correctly. I upgraded my comp last week didnt really need a new hard drive. I've already installed a ton of stuff on it. Not looking forward to try and have to reinstall everything again.

I'm going to try and download debian linux again, burn it to a cd and see if it can see the extra space on the hdd and somehow if it does try and remove it. Format it or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom