Need a Laptop Asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3

Banned
K, guys seeing as how i dunno much bout laptops i need some advice. My aunt needs a laptop that will be used for downloading music, and videos and stuff like that so sufficient storage, im thinkin like 80GB+, and it will also be used for like basic computer usage, like word, IE, firefox or w/e, and watching movies. and it will also need a CD/DVD burner.

my questions:
1) is AMD currently ruling the laptop section or Intel? im guessing Turion right? or 64? do they have 64s for laptops?

2) What brand laptop do i need

3) cant go higher than like $800

4) i need reliability, more of a comment as well.

john3 said:
my questions:
1) is AMD currently ruling the laptop section or Intel? im guessing Turion right? or 64? do they have 64s for laptops?

2) What brand laptop do i need

3) cant go higher than like $800

4) i need reliability, more of a comment as well.

Laptops with AMD processors are much cheaper than those with Intel procs. About performance, they are about the same. The only complaint I have heard about AMD processors is that they overheat quickly and sometimes fry.

I would get a Dell. You can get more for your money with a Dell. You can definitly get a good Dell laptop for less than $800. Check out the Dell website for deals. Dell also sells refurbished/returned laptops. You might be interested in those as well.

You can get pretty good reliability with any laptop you buy from major companies such as Dell, IBM, Compaq, HP, Toshiba, ACER, etc..

no, thats 2 expensive, and she wont need a core DUo for the applications i listed, i swear a lot of the people here sound like a broken record.

I was just lookin for a laptop for my buddy...found this one for him and he bought it...received it monday and he loves it.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1959184&sku=A180-1228

This is how the price worked out for him:

"ok i paid 819.49 for everything-in the end it should be about 479.95 shipped.

computer was 650.00-with 250.00 in mail in rebate with a dna migator program because the one we was looking at they didnt have somehow. so 5 bucks more i get the same deal with the ISS program with a dna migrator program

den i paid 44.99 for 512 mb ram
den 89.99 printer with free mail in rebate.
plus 30 bucks shipping"

Just a 60gig HD but you can always upgrade or go external

Whoa I thought that thing was overpriced as **** but then I remembered it would be in Canadian dollars. ;)
That'll be fine for a more basic model, I can almost guarentee that you can get a better one straight from Compaq's site for less money, though. They have surprisingly good prices if you buy direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom