Windows XP SP1 support ends on October 10, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Support for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Service Pack 1a (SP1a) ends on October 10, 2006. This also includes security updates for these service packs. Microsoft is providing final notifications to customers regarding the end of support for these products.

Microsoft is ending support for these products as part of the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Service Pack support policy. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows XP SP1 or SP1a upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 as soon as possible.

To determine whether you are running Windows XP SP1, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. If ?Service Pack 1; appears under System, you are running Windows XP SP1. We do not recommend that you install SP1a if you are already running SP1. We recommend that you install Windows XP SP2 if you are running Windows XP SP1 or SP1a.

http://www.msblog.org/?p=751

Any idea when support for SP2 ends? My friend thought that it was around the same time as SP1 (So Microsoft could basically force us to get Vista). Is he just paranoid or something?

I don't understand what the problem is, SP2 fixes a lot of security holes and it's a free download so why should it matter?

That's what they do best, force people to upgrade to the latest version. I see nothing wrong with SP2 either and I still don't get why anyone would still be running SP1.

Law said:
That's what they do best, force people to upgrade to the latest version. I see nothing wrong with SP2 either and I still don't get why anyone would still be running SP1.

Well, some people are influenced by others to jump on the "I hate Microsoft" bandwagon. This of course is before trying SP2 or whatever. My friend is one of these people. He can't name 3 things wrong with SP2 or Microsoft in general. Now, if you actually know stuff that's wrong with it, go ahead and don't get SP2. You're allowed, lol :p

jorsoft03 said:
I don't understand what the problem is, SP2 fixes a lot of security holes and it's a free download so why should it matter?

The only reason i'm not using SP2, is i have a slow computer, and those extra resources will kill it.

When i upgrade in the summer, i'll buy a copy of PRO SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom