The History Of Windows (All You Should Know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biohazard_2.0

Baseband Member
The Only Versions I will not cover are
Windows 1.x-3.x, Windows NT, Windows Server Versions, Windows CE, And Windows 2000

Windows 95:
This version featured an all new GUI, and even more, with support for your CD-ROM drive (After Installing it) and the All New Fat16 file system. This version though, did not feature LBA (Large Block Access) Or Active Desktop.
Windows 98:
This version was completly developed under the Idea that the internet would be the basic fundimentals for a PC OS. With things like Active desktop and Internet Explorer (With support for Dial Up Access.) This version also featured LBA (Large Block access) Wich Supported Hard drives Up To 2TB (Though Partitions could not be that big) Working of the Amazing Fat32 File System, Windows 98 proved to be the successor of 95 immidiatly. However, MS did not update the GUI.
Windows ME:
Windows ME was full of flaws and for some reason did not support Win32 applications that great. With a tweaked Windows 98 look (Featuring siminew icons and an updated Win32 Kernel)
Windows ME was greatly accepted as a huge mistake and in 2002 Microsoft's CEO Henery William Gates III publicaly appoligized for its release.
Windows XP:
Released in 2001 By Microsoft, this new OS was actually being Alpha and Beta tested BEFORE the Release of Windows ME. Featuring a Brand new look, a patched Windows 98 Kernel and the new File System NTFS, Windows XP proved even more cuitsie then any other OS. Windows XP Now is on over 65% of all Computers In The US. Windows XP is now to be down shunned by Microsofts Newest OS Vista which Will be the biggest ram Eater Availble.

Please comment and correct me on any errors, I wish to post this on my new website. I will give credits to any error corrections. And if you wish to discribe any other OS (of windows) that I have not Covered, IE Windows CE, Windows 1-3 please do so, I will also give credits to that. Thank you.

Why not cover Windows 1.0 - 3.11? What about Microsoft Bob? Those are still OS's made by M$.

Windows 98 couldnt support up to 2 TB. The largest disc that i have ever seen 98 recognize was 130GB. Anything alrger and it wouldnt recognize it. that was the limitation of Fat32 file system. So that info needs to be corrected. It wasnt until NTFS (which none of the 9x platform recognizes) that a HDD could go beyond that size. Even then it depended on your BIOS.

Windows XP was actually released in 2002 not 2001. XP doesnt use the 98 Kernel it uses the 2000 kernel if i am not mistaken. NTFS wasnt new with XP either. NTFS was released with the Windows NT platform (hence the NTFS file format). It wasnt until XP that NTFS became widely accepted.

Vista wont be the biggest RAM eater available. It is right now only cause it is in Beta stages and they have not trimmed down the requirements to run it. Codename Whistler (XP) was a big RAM eater in its time and they got the requirements down by about half when it was Officially Released in 2002.

Vista is based off the Server 2003 kernel which has proven to be the most secure yet. It will have many new features that we have not come across with a OS. It will not have seperate versions. All versions will be available on 1 disc and can be unlocked with a serial #. That is to prevent the Upgrade hassle. So if you buy the Basic version at first and then choose to get the Ultimate Edition you wont have to get a new disc. You will just pay the $$ and get a new serial which will unlock the Ultimate options within the OS for you.

Windows 1.0 was the GUI based OS. It was very basic and buggy. The fiel size of Windows 1.01 is only a mere 1.34MB in size.

Windows 2.0 was a bit of a step up from 1.0 but wasnt much better in stability. The file size is 2.94MB.

Windows 3.1 is when Windows really started to take off. It was only a DOS shell. Meaning that it only gave a GUI to DOS. The same can be said of Windows 95 and Windows 98. It wasnt until Windows 2000 that they got away from the DOS Shell and made a stand alone OS.

There is some more info and some corrected info for ya.

wow these are useful information to know the history of MS , thanks guys anyway although those information might be not correct but already a lot for me,

Yea I found that out (With Win 98 and fat32, it isnt the Filesystem that supports up to 2tb, it is 32bit technologies.)

Thanks for all the corrections. I will be sure to add those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom