Fan control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole

Solid State Member
Ok for some reason my computer is adjusting its fan speed based on my temps. I thought it was cool n' quiet. It turned out it wasnt. Then I thought it was a thing called q-fan, wasnt that either. No matter what I do, I cannot get my computer to just run its fans at full speed. BTW here are my specs in case you were wondering

codegen case
550W Antech PSU
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
Arctic Cooler
Asus A8N32 SLI Motherboard
TWO Geforce 7900GT's
Gigabyte of 2-2-2-51t GSkill F2 PC3200 400MHz Ram
XP Pro
Dual Lite-On DVD Drives
Barracuda 7200rpm 250GB SATA Hard Drive

I know the fan speed and temps. I tried adjusting the rpm with speed fan but it didnt work.

But I dont want to spend any money on a controller when I just want to run them full speed all the time.

Re:

Hello,

I think cool n quiet's intention is to raise or lower your fan's RPM depending on your system temperatures. Same with ASUS Q-Fan Technology.

This is normal.

So when you said you thought it was Q-Fan, did you try disabling it in your BIOS, and it didn't work?

Probably a more interesting question is, why do you want your fans to be at full RPM anyways? Is it because you want to overclock your system? Or is it overheating?

If your system isn't overheating and you don't want to overclock, there's no reason why you shouldn't let cool n quiet and q-fan do their jobs.

Some boards will allow you to bypass the controller and run the fan at full speed through jumpers. Check that out. Not really sure if commercial computer motherboards actually give you that option through jumpers though. If so, just insert the jumper and you are done. But, it might not be possible.

In my company, I was just working on programming the fan controller in one of our boards to be sensitive to temperature. To do that, you need access the controller and reprogram it. It's really easy to reprogram it. But, writing the code to "access" it takes a little bit more work.

Not really sure which chip the AMD based motherboards use. Doesn't have to be the "same" on all AMD motherboards also. The Intel based motherboards "typically" use the LM63 chip for that purpose, I think. If you want to reprogram it, you can tell it to run at full-speed always instead of being temperature sensitive.

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM63.html

I want it to run at full speed so my computer can be as cool as possible. I could care less about noise. I have disabled both CnQ and Qfan in the bios. Nothing seems to be working.

Re:

Hello,

Okay buy it still doesn't make sense to me if your system is not overheating. The operating ranges of heat won't kill you hardware. They are designed to operate under specific heat thresholds.

Your CPU has a on die thermal diode. Your motherboard constantly monitors temperatures and will adjust your fan speeds accordingly to ensure the system is adequately being cooled. If your system overheats then there themal protection measure trip and shut off the system.

I think the only way you're going to get your fans to spin at full RPM is by buying hardware:

- Buy a fan controller.
- Power your fans using the PSU with a 3-pin fan to molex connector (which will bypass the RPM monitoring line).

In fact...does anyone know if severing the RPM monitoring cable of a fan (usually the yellow cable or white of the three), stop it from slowing down...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom