Perhaps a virus? dealing with DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
Right.. iono where to post, sorry, but anywho, i did that DMZ thing and connected straight to the internet, still had my firewall up, now i get this random message about how my computer needs a patch and the title of the window is "MSOFT" or something.. i forgot what it said, but it says goto this website, then click ok blaa blaa... and when i play games now, they get choppy like every 10 seconds, and i tried to open norton to do a virus scan, and the program shuts itself down like after a couple seconds of being open.. any help would be.. wow, i just got another message, said, did you that if you're getting this message, hackers anywhere in the world can get into your computer, goto this website, yada yada..., well thanks guys

i tried, that website just locks my computer up.. as soon as it opens the scanning program.. it says "scanning memory" and locks my pc up...

I think I know where those messages were originating from cuz they popped up when I was running a file sharing program. Do you happen to be using iMesh?

still there after a format? probably in the MBR. write zero's to the drive. then fdisk. then format. it WILL be gone, then unless its in the bios (which, doesn't sound like it). Anyhow, if all else fails, write zeros! oh, and I HAVE seen the happen before... not saying your not smart or anything, BUT did you back up anything before formating and then put it back on? Along time ago before I started networking and program'n, I was a help desk tech. Had a lady called that got formated 2 or 3 times in a row by prev technicians... these SAME technicians would THEN help her (against policy) put her backed up info back onto the system. Of course, that also reintroduced the virus... GOD sometimes people do amaze me.

yea i backuped onto my d drive, but that's not where the virus is.. it's coming from c, i took my d out already though, and put it into an old pos, and scanned again, not showing anything

edit -> how do you write zeros?

cool ;) Well, you have to get the software downloaded. Think its called first aid or something. Anyhow, put it on a bootable floppy boot to it and then run it. To let you know, this REALLY erases things. Formating, as I've said before, just marks space on the drive for use, but there is still info there... its just not accessible in normal ways. However, when you do this, you go through and set every bit on the drive to '0', just as long as its not a old drive. This overwrites the MBR and everything. After that, you'll need to fdisk and then format. Its also known as a low level format, I believe. Also called debug, though not sure why...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom