Not open for further replies.

0tz

In Runtime
I have the following specs.

Intel P4 2.66Ghz LGA 775 Prescott
ASUS P5P800S
Inno3D GeForce FX5200 128MB 128-bit
1x 512MB 1x 256MB DDR333 generic

Ok curiousity lead me trying to OC my rig. I hope my curiosity will not end up my CPU fried :(

Ok here's what I have done. In my BIOS, under Advanced Menu, in the JumperFree Configuration, there is an menu called "AI OVERCLOCK TUNER". At default, it was at "Auto". I chose "Manual" and increased the external frequency from 133 to 160. The other options like the DRAM and etc I just left them set at automatic. Then I restarted my PC.

Upon checking in the first hour, I run it stable at 3.2Ghz according to CPU-Z. My clock multiplier is at x20 and I don't know how to adjust it.

My questions are:

1. I am using the original HSF provided in my CPU and 2 case fans. I just wonder if I end up frying my processor? Or is it just ok? I saw something in the forums that increasing voltage will generate more heat than increasing the external frequency. Is it true? Just like what I said above, the only thing I did is increased the external frequency.

2. Next, how far can my processor go with stock cooling? Can I make it to 3.6 without overheating?

3. Like what I said, I left the other options set at automatic. Does it mean that my memory is also OCed? Just want to take note that I am using generic memory and I do not intend to OC it.

4. How can I determine if the system runs unstable? Will it prompt me something, crashes during game? How will I know if my CPU will overheat?

5. If there is a much better way to safely overclock my CPU in stock cooling, please teach me..

If you need other info please tell me..THANKS and I hope someone help me here I dont want my PC to go heaven.

1. your stock hsf should do fine unless you really feel like going extreme

2. i wouldnt doubt it, prescotts seem to overclock far

3. i would assume your ram is running 1:1, so yes, your ram is probably overclocked

4. if its not stable, sometimes it will restart the computer, or shut down programs. Not only that, you may get a message from "the blue screen" i found this is usually because your ram is running too fast. As for overheating, i have no idea how hot those prescotts run before danger point, but use everest home edition to check

aha, just noticed it said philippines! haha, never been there.. but i wish to go to visit all my relatives someday :cool:

1. you should be fine
2. it depends entirely on the cpu you have
3. yes it is
4. you will get the Blue Screen of Death will playing games
5. you should try reading some guides before you start really trying to overclock your cpu

Thanks for the tips. Last question.

How can I determine the temperature of my CPU?

And what is the highest possilbe temperature my CPU can handle? Right now its running 3.2Ghz. Want to try to 3.4 and eventually to 3.6Ghz with stock cooling again only. Just want to be safe :)

Ok I have downloaded everest Home Edition but after a few minutes, it prompts me of an illegal operation and need to be shutdown..What shall I do? :(

you can check ur temps through your bios, or you can download certain programs.. i'm using one that came with my mobo, its an abit sensor, maybe you can run it as well.. but i dunno, maybe you need an abit mobo... its called abit eq, its from uguru, so i dunno maybe you don't

Ok I try to find it in the installer. Is 60-70C tolerable on my CPU? I checked on my BIOS and it starts from 68-71C in 24/7 running.

BTW, I tried to OC again my CPU to 3.4Ghz. My RAM suddenly registered at 266Mhz not at the original 333Mhz. Kinda scared so I returned it back to 3.2Ghz. But my RAM still ran at 266Mhz..What shall I do?!! :( Is my RAM busted? :(

wow that is really hot, i suggest you back off for a while, check the temp guide for p4 prescotts

okay 60-70 is in the rough.. your at the point where your going to need a better heatsink to continue.. some as5 as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom