Fried my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait and see if your video card is the problem, if your psu can power everything else in your case it might only be your video card.

Ok, cool. I sent it off today, too bad it's a weekend and won't get anywhere til Monday :( I'll post back when I get it back from them.

Upgrading my processor is turning into a big deal :D

Edit: I tracked the package with the number the UPS guy gave me, it's not slated to even arrive in Whittier, CA until next Friday :( Dumb weekends and Memorial Day

Got the new card today, popped it in, and wouldn't you believe it, EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I don't think my other one was DOA.

Everything comes on and appears to work fine (hard drive sound, fans come on, blue LEDs in case come on), but I simply cannot get any video.

Is this a power supply issue, perhaps? My current PSU says (sticker on the bottom): "+5V & +3.3V combined load 233W. +5V & +3.3V & +12V combined load 422W. Total output is 450W max.". I'm out of 4-pin molex things in my case, I don't even have enough for the fan/LED in the side of my case. My video card is using 2 of them, since my PSU doesn't have a PCI-E 6-pin power thing, I have to plug 2 4-pin molexes into the convertor and plug the convertor into the video card.

CPU and case fan comes on, I hear my 2x SATA harddrives spin up, case fan and LED in the front (it's an X-Blade case) come on, and heck, even the video card fan comes on. But my monitor (19" CRT) light stays orange, never changes to green. Turning the monitor off and back on makes it green for a second, and it says "Off mode in 5 sec" and then goes back to orange. The monitor works fine, because I'm using it now in Ubuntu Linux.

Also, this just occured to me. The video card has two DVI ports, and no VGA ports, so I am having to use one of the DVI-VGA adapters that came with the card. I don't know anything about this technology, but I don't think this could be causing an issue, could it?

no thats not a problem thats what i use for my gfx and moniter thing

Ivs had this before. It was my psu but after i changed mine to a antec it worked so....

thats what i still think it is... it could come on but not have enough power but.. **** i dunno

also when u put a new mobo in u have to reinstal windows to let you no:p if u didnt no that already just saying

Edit* get a new psu 550 watt antec if ur board is sli is what i recomend

I ordered the Antec TruePower2 550W from Newegg just now, with Fedex Standard Overnight, so worst comes to worst I get it Friday. Tomorrow, I hope.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Ok guys, I'm seriously getting angry and I can't cuss on these forums.

I got my new Antec TruePower2.0 550W PSU today, and dropped it in my case. Connected the 24-pin thing to the 24-pin power slot on my motherboard. Connected a PCI-E power connector to my PCI-E 7900GT. Connected 2 of the SATA power connectors to my 2x SATA harddrives.Connected a 4-prong molex connector to my DVD+RW drive. Connected the little floppy power connector to my floppy drive. Plugged in the thing that powers my case's from fans, power button, etc. Had an 8-pin thing coming out of the motherboard I didn't know what to do with until I discovered it split into 2x 4-pin connectors, so I connected the one that fit to my motherboard's ATX12V thing in the top left corner near the PSU. Plugged it in, hoped it would work. Nothing. The fans/LEDs/etc in my case came on, I could see my CPU fan going, I could feel my harddrives going, I could even feel my video card fan running, as far as I could tell. Yet when the monitor went from orange light to green light, it said "Off Mode in 5 sec" and then proceeds to go back to orange light mode. I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea what could be wrong here. Was my first 7900GT even DOA, or had I done something wrong. If it was DOA, is there the slight chance that this one could have been DOA also?

I'm at an utter loss here. Please, ask me as many questions as necessary to make it possible to narrow down what the problem could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom