explorer taking up 50% of CPU resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello

my computer takes up 50% of my cpu's resources, is that normal, or has some one managed to get into my pc and is messing around?

thanks for the reply

my specs are
cpu 2.8 GHz p4
hard drive 160 gig
gigabyte 81875 ultra mobo

what kind of malware scan should i use
my firefox is crashing quite often nowadays, dont know if it is connected?

Could be a virus, adware or spyware. You can download Microsoft's free Windows Defender to scan your PC for adware/spyware.

thanks for the reply

i have got 1 GB of RAM, and have got avg installed on my machine with the latest updates

two other strange thingsseem to be happening to my pc

1) when open a new page, sometimes after a few seconds of surfing, the broser switches to an ealier opened page

2) soemtiems while surfing the new page, the browser freezes for a few seconds and then resumes normally

Sounds like a browser hijack or spyware issue. Running Avast won't protect you from these type of software, Avast was only meant to detect viruses, worms and trojan horses. It's probably best that you follow the instruction on the link I provided.

The best solution is to boot into safe mode with networking and follow the instruction.

thanks for the reply

what is a browser hijack?

you mean running avg or avast wont protect me from such issues?

you think running spybot search and destroy will make a difference, i dont know what microsoft would bundle their windows defender with?

i ran adaware, spybot & cleanup, there were so many nasties in my system

where had they come from?

i guess i should be scanning my pc for nasties on a bi monthly basis at least, what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom