MAC vs. PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaking of radical consoles, anyone hear that sound bite about PS3? they're going in that direction too, the head honcho said he didnt care about making money or something, just wanted to make the market bigger.

P.S. there is such a thing as taking innovation too far, when a company keeps making different stuff, and not stopping to focus on any of their products either that sucks too.

like mama always said, too much of anything is a bad thing.
(lol) :p

... ( is that from forrest gump or something?)

Eagleboy said:
So, Intel blindfolds some artists and tells them to draw a motherboard layout? Yeah, ummm... I'm pretty sure every other motherboard manufacturer has electrical engineers designing the motherboards in conjunction with the people who are designing the architecture.

I'm also fairly sure that you meant electrical engineers, unless Apple uses a combination of simple machines and tons of ingenuity to create a fully mechanical laptop. Now, maybe they hire mechanical engineers to design the casing, casing materials, hinges, etc., but they sure don't touch the electrical stuff.

First of all, Intel doesnt design your whole computer like apple does, they design your processor and maybe mobo. Mechanical engineers make the heatsink and fan that goes on top of all your processors. the rest of your computer is made by a bunch of other engineers (computer, electrical and mechanical) who dont really comunicate with each other because they are from a bunch of different companies (ie eVGA, MSI, BFG, etc)

Heat transfer is an exclusively mechanical engineering field. i spent weeks learning the fundamentals of arranging printed circuit boards to optimize air flow and heat transfer.

to make a laptop slim, u have to do a sh!t ton of air flow calculations, fluid dynamics is also an exclusively mechanical engineering field. Electrical and Computer Hardware engineers figure out how to print the printed circuit boards, mechanical engineers figure out how to cool them down. this is why you have a big case when u buy a pc, cuz there arent any mechanical engineers making sure that everything is optimally spaced so u gotta space everything out a TON.

Apple spends alot of money making sure that each and every part of their computers meshes with the rest of it. Are you telling me Intel does that? i dont think so.

let's see how 'stable' the mac os is when they can finally get their 'superior' system higher than their 10% (or whatever it is, lower probably) market share and hackers start writing viruses, spyware, and exploits for mac.

i'm sure mac's are fine computers...and i promise i'm not trying to offend or get in a fight. i just don't understand why people want a machine that they can't build, upgrade, or repair themselves and that only has very limited software available. ...and pay much more for it in the process.

most windows instability problems can be traced back to user negligence anway.

I agree with you all in saying that PCs are far superior gaming PCs, as that is why I have mine that is in my sig. Also, I have never noticed a Mac actually being faster than my desktop in Photoshop work, they're mostly about the same.
However, as far as laptops go, from a student point of view, I have yet to find a PC laptop that is better than a Mac for mobile work. I never use laptops for gaming so that is never an issue.
Also, all this ranting about XP vs. OS X, has anyone here used OS 10.4.6 recently? It already has most of the features that MS is touting for Vista, and its here and its real and it works flawlessly. Widgets, the 'pretty' interface (which does nothing for productivity, but whatev...), "security", instant computer wide search, etc.
Not that I'm bashing Vista, I will install it on my desktop the day it is loaded onto the MSDN Academic Alliance site, and I'm sure I will love it.
At the end of the day, they're both computers, they both get the job done, and they both do it very well. Unless you're and idiot and screw your computer up, which happens with both Windows users and Apple users.

chris32680 said:
let's see how 'stable' the mac os is when they can finally get their 'superior' system higher than their 10% (or whatever it is, lower probably) market share and hackers start writing viruses, spyware, and exploits for mac.
Mac OS X is UNIX based. A good chunk of big servers and mainframes use UNIX based operating systems. Even thought they know someone could write viruses for UNIX systems, they still use BSD, Unix, Mac OS X, and Linux en masse because they know WHY UNIX like systems are more secure. If you looked into it, you would too.

So you're not taking a swing at Mac OS here, you're taking a swing at nearly every POSIX-compliant operating system out there, and supporting the less-developed, less-stable NT kernel.

Satisfied?

yes i am...
trust me, i know that xp has its problems. and i'm sure there are many things that osx can do better than xp. i was just saying originally that i don't like the 'smug' attitude that a lot of mac users have. (and i'm not saying you're smug at all). a lot of them think that windows is pure crap and crashes all the time. i honestly can't remember the last time my pc crashed. i've had it for nearly 5 years, and i've only had to reformat it once. and, like i said, i don't understand why you have to pay soooo much more for a computer that you can't build, upgrade, or repair yourself. i guess its the pretty cases they come in....

Nah, Linux for games, word processing, A/V editing, photo editing and 3D modeling. Mac for portability.

Windows for those few DirectX games that are a "Must-have."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom