Can a power surge fry a PCI card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprtnbsblplya

Daemon Poster
So I have my desktop plugged into a surge protector, and our power flickered for a few minutes today, then went out entirely for a couple seconds.
Needless to say, my computer turned off. When I restarted it, I can't get on the internet anymore.
All my network connection says is limited or no connectivity. It cant even browse and see the 5 WLANs in my neighborhood.
Would the power surge have done this?
I cant think of anything else, I've rebooted a couple times, repaired the connection, all to no avail.

if your pc is plugged into a surge protector its prolly not the card,
it could however be the router, even if thats plugged in to the protector, there's nothing shielding the cable plug into it (unless you get a surge with cable plugs) i've seen this happen alot. call up your service provider, ask if they can detect your router, if not its prolly fried...
although that doesnt explain the other wlans, unless they all got fried, which could happen. could be you have a cruddy surge protector and the card did get fried, although, if it detects in hardware manager i dont see how thats possible.

See, thats what I was thinking, if the PC detects the card, it would follow that it isnt totally fried...
Also, I'm using the WLAN connection with my powerbook right now, so our router is perfectly fine, as it is also plugged into a nicer protector in my fathers office.
Hmm, could the software settings in Windows XP been screwed with by the random power loss?

a surge might fry a PCI card, but if it did, it would probabbly fry the motherboard aswell, and possibly other components

you connect to a router, maybe the router needs to be set up again

The router is fine, I'm using it to surf right now on my Powerbook. And my parents both used it on their laptops earlier in the day with no issues. I've never heard of a router selectively picking one computer to change settings on and not the other 3.

It functions and detects the network, but I cant view the list of wireless networks, it says I must use that B$ wireless zero config utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom