Rich Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
NeedAcpu said:
Guess you never heard of the 64 bit version of windows.

Not starting a fight, but good luck finding drivers for all your hardware on Windows XP 64. I think for what they are going to use this PC, 2GB RAM is more than enough.

[rant]
Is it just me, or has everybody lost their minds? The fact that they have a 10k budget doesn't mean you have to use all of it. Quad SLI? SCSI HDDs? WHY?! Just build a kick-*ss system, without being stupid or crazy.
[/rant]

Why arn't you getting SCSI it would be so much faster than any SATA drive you could get it wouldn't even be funny. A pain to install? You just put the scsi card in the PC and plug the drives into it as you would if they were on the motherboard. How is that a pain? And are you not getting intel because you simply dont want to wait for it, or because you like AMD better? If it's the latter, then thats really stupid. Did you see that andantech benchmark that was posted here yesterday?

NosBoost300 said:
i'm not saying its wrong, i'm saying if you were to do what a ppu did with just the cpu, the game would horribly lag, way worse than having one

so in reality your increasing performance because the cpu alone can not calculate all those physics alone.. you bring the gpu down a little but bring the cpu up alot

NosBoost have you ever used a physx card or seen one in action? Everytime for ex. in GRAW you blow something up there are more particles to generate yes but there is a second where there is a stutter, its like the fps dorp to 5. yes theoretically the ppu could increase performance but it's memory bandwidth is so small on a pci slot that it can't get information to the gpu fast enough.

Running said:
NosBoost have you ever used a physx card or seen one in action? Everytime for ex. in GRAW you blow something up there are more particles to generate yes but there is a second where there is a stutter, its like the fps dorp to 5. yes theoretically the ppu could increase performance but it's memory bandwidth is so small on a pci slot that it can't get information to the gpu fast enough.

is no one understanding what i'm trying to say!!! yes it drops fps! but it would not be possible to have what it could do with our current hardware today... I'm not desagreeing saying it drops fps... a gpu and cpu cannot do it alone, so that means the ppu is increasing the physics performance.. and from what i've read at other forums someones fps only dropped by about 15 with his 7900 gt and a physx processor...

and because its not possible for a cpu to do it (options just not available without it) it just goes to show that its doing something right? something a cpu can't do

but it doesnt increase the f*cking performance!!!! God dam this is p*ssing me off now! Above you have said a gpu and cpu cannot do it alone, yes this is right and thats where the ppu comes in and does the extra eyecandy. So i dont understand how the h*ll you think that its increasing performance. It increases eyecandy! nothing else!

Anyway dont bother going with the ppu idea. ATi are bringing out a new mobo which has 3 pci-e slots. 2 for crossfire or just one card and then the other spare one is for another normal gfx card that acts the same as a ppu. So imagine having 2 x R600 cards with a X900XTX as the ppu. That would be a **** of a lot better for eyecandy and because its 3 gfx cards the performance wont decrease.

Without reading your stupid arguements, let me explain what the PhysX card does. It allows a game to process 50,000 physical bones in realtime without causing a drop in performance, but not increasing performance either. A normal CPU or video card can only process about 3,000 bones before the performance starts to go downhill.

003 said:
Without reading your stupid arguements, let me explain what the PhysX card does. It allows a game to process 50,000 physical bones in realtime without causing a drop in performance, but not increasing performance either. A normal CPU or video card can only process about 3,000 bones before the performance starts to go downhill.

Nice Explanation
:D

And to add to that, you might say that even if the physics card does the physics calculations, the video card still has to render the particles, and wouldn't that cause a drop in performance? To answer that, yes, it would. But it would be a very small drop that you would never notice without benchmarking.

And last I read, the PhysX card does not saturate the PCI bus, so bandwidth is not an issue. Even if it was, they do make PCI-e models.

Mentali$T said:
but it doesnt increase the f*cking performance!!!! God dam this is p*ssing me off now! Above you have said a gpu and cpu cannot do it alone, yes this is right and thats where the ppu comes in and does the extra eyecandy. So i dont understand how the h*ll you think that its increasing performance. It increases eyecandy! nothing else!

Anyway dont bother going with the ppu idea. ATi are bringing out a new mobo which has 3 pci-e slots. 2 for crossfire or just one card and then the other spare one is for another normal gfx card that acts the same as a ppu. So imagine having 2 x R600 cards with a X900XTX as the ppu. That would be a **** of a lot better for eyecandy and because its 3 gfx cards the performance wont decrease.

how is a x900xtx supposed to calculate physics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom