Problem: Boot Up Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul0489

Beta member
Last night my computer was unresponsive - therefore I decided to turn it off by holding down the Power Off button as nothing else could be done about it.

Woke up this morning to find that the computer doesn't actually boot up into Windows. It boots up as normal and progresses through to the Windows XP Splash Screen - where it then starts to load and cuts out and goes back to the beginning of the cycle - as if I started the computer again.

Now, I have some data on the computer I'd like to keep - so reformatting is basically out of the window for the moment, I've had this problem before and somehow I resolved it but I just don't have the slightest idea how to resolve it.

I've tried the Last Good Config and Safe Mode - they both went to the Splash Screen and it resulted in the computer booting itself back up again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've had this problem before - is the windows repair when you put in the disk press R for repair etc..?

One time I did it - I opted for just an OS repair - not a full format, it didn't succeed and it then only let me do a full format.

I really am stuck for ideas!

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

I haven't got a Win XP disc - would I be able to do this if I borrow one from a friend?

Is there no other solution like extracting a file from floppy to replace the one in the system thats corrupt?

One of the main problems is that it doesn't give an error message of any sort - is there a way to find out what is corrupt in the OS?

ERD Commander would replace the bad file if there was one. you can use your friends xp cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom