Looking at new mobo & cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

calculating_odd

Beta member
I have been running an AMD Athlon 2600+ (Barton Core), 128 MB Geforce 5200FX, 1.5GB 400MHZ RAM for some time now and am looking to upgrade to a faster setup.

I use my PC mainly for transfering data, Multitasking, and Playing Call of Duty 2, Sim City, and other games.

I was wanting to stick under $450 for Motherboard/CPU. And $150 for Graphics Card

Anyone have a reccomendation for me???????

Your help is greatly appreciated

How quickly do you need your computer to be upgraded?

I almost never recommend this since you can be waiting for ever for the next greatest thing but it do appear that the new core duo 2 is the type of change we have not seen in almost 2 years (since the introduction of Athlon 64). You might want to wait to see how the core duo 2 plays out. There should be no problem when released to find a lower end core duo 2 and a motherboard for $450. Release date is reported to be in July.

calculating_odd said:
release date in July?? i thought i have already seen dual-core amd's..

Miss-understanding. Core Duo 2 is Intel new CPU architecture that is looking to be better then any current design on the market.

turtile, how much are you seeing that eVGA 7900GT for???

i wanted to spend around 150 for the video card.

and a 3500+, are you talking about the dual core amd?? or what.... cause there are dual cores for around $300..........

The 3500+ is around $190. The video card is in the high 200's.

For gaming, the video card is most important. Right now just about no games support dual core. You'll need to spend $400 for a dual core to perform the same as the 3500+ in single threaded applications.

Even when they do, your video card won't be able to use all the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom