Not open for further replies.

Manhuntkotor

In Runtime
Hey. I currently have (all from CPU-Z)

CPU-Intel Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz, Northwood

PC 2700 256 Mb DDR Memory
Frequency-166.1 Mhz
Unbuffered and Unregistered

Im wanting to upgrade my current Mobo, since im limited to PCI slots. I want to keep the current RAM and CPU. I want to be able to play some Battlefield 2 so Im going to need PCI-E x16 slots. Im gonna use it mainly for gaming... is it possible to take out my current cpu and switch it into another mobo? Which mobo should I use?

it is possible but i don't think they make any s478 boards with pci-e. are you sure your current motherboard doesn't have AGP. in my opinion if you are upgrading two major components (motherboard, video card) there is no reason why you couldn't upgrade the whole system. normally i would reccomend waiting for conroe but for your purposes you could re-use your ram, case, psu and drives and add an s939 motherboard and a cheap single core athlon. this would be the most efficient way to upgrade

What kind of cash do you have to spend here? I've never seen a nsocket 478 mobo with anything better than agp and if you're gaming i think you'll rally want pci-e. I'd recommend a socket 939 mobo (~$100), an Athlon 64 (~$150) and then your graphics card, just reuse everything else. Also check if your psu is compatible with new procs/mobos, not sure if these older ones will work cross-platform.

there is no mobo that i could get? it doesnt HAVE to be pci-e.... also, money isnt an option but im just dying to get away from the integrated graphics :/

you could just get a mobo then a 6800gs , you should be able to play games medium-high settings

Yes it HAS to be PCI-E.

It would be useless buying AGP now.

I can understand buying new AGP cards if you have an AGP board, but Im sorry buying an AGP board now is not a good idea:)

Get a socket 939 mobo
1GB pc3200 ram.
3000+ or 3200+
6600 GT or 6800 GT

I know thats probably over your budget but that should do nicley:)

BF2 will chew up and spit out that ram you have.

I cannot get a whole new CPU and ram and stuff... all I need is a mobo that will fit my CPU and my RAM and at least AGP slots.... nothing else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom