did i get a good video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbo1004

Beta member
hey guys this is my first post.

just wanted to ask if my new video card will cut it. i'm playing dnd online. i've been playing it without a card, just 128mb of dedicated ram and it's been playing pretty well, just a few slowdowns when alot of things get onscreen at once. anyway the card i'm getting is a nVidia GeForce FX5500 256MB AGP video card. this was under $50 brand new. so, will it smooth things out or what.

oh, by the way my comp is

amd 3200+
1.2 gb ram
19" wide screen lcd
80 gb hd

yea.....thats a good card. i had a fx5200 128mb once and it played doom3, counter strike, and republic commandoes all on high settings, so your card should do fine. should save up money though and get a better one....cuz that card cant play ALL games....

Playing any new game out right now, say low settings to possibly medium on some types of resolution. Older games you can run on better settings.

hmammen said:
yea.....thats a good card......it played doom3...... on high settings

Umm i dont know how you can manage to play doom3 on highest settings with that card. Anyway i wouldnt bother with the fx5500, its just a waste of money. save up for a better card.

trust me man....doom 3 is not that demanding of a game....yes it can play it on high settings....i was surprised it did. i have a 6800 now and it can play fear on high settings...but you are right there are much better cards out there.

Uh, playing on high settings is definately a no. However the fx5500 is a pretty decent card. I managed to live with a 5200 for a long time playing games such as doom 3. There isn't much of a performance increase with the 5500, but it seemed like my frames never dropped as much as they did on the 5200.

You'll be happy with it as long as you don't expect to play games on highish settings.

trust me man....doom 3 is not that demanding of a game....yes it can play it on high settings

yeah on 640X480 :p maybe 800X600. unless you consider under 30fps playable.

(my old video card was a geforce fx 5200 am very aware of what it can and cant do)

Try to get at least a radeon 9600Pro at the min. not sure how much they cost these days. geforce 6600 would be a better bet if you can find it cheap.

Yah, i've ran doom 3 on a 6600 and it barely worked on high. I honestly don't know what you are thinking to say a 5200 can handle that. It doesn't even have 128 bit memory.

It doesn't even have 128 bit memory.

Depends on which one you got. The one I had acturlly did have 128bit memory. There still no way it running doom on high with a good resoultion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom