7950... Wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.P. Mguire said:
Its not a card, its two and its rediculous. If both chips where on a single PCB and did the same thing that would be better.

It's a single card with two GPU's. It take up ONE PIC-E slot meaning it is ONE card. You can make something with 8 GPU's, if it takes up ONE PCI-E slot it is ONE card.

Sure I can see how someone says it's two cards, so what you have then is the best bang/buck SLI option as this thing stood toe to toe with a $1,000 worth of cards in SLI mode. Don't have SLI however, well you can pretty much experiance it now without replacing you motherboard.

Either way you look at it this is an extremly powerful card, they just put it out at the worst possible time.

Jag28 said:
It's a single card with two GPU's. It take up ONE PIC-E slot meaning it is ONE card. You can make something with 8 GPU's, if it takes up ONE PCI-E slot it is ONE card.

Sure I can see how someone says it's two cards, so what you have then is the best bang/buck SLI option as this thing stood toe to toe with a $1,000 worth of cards in SLI mode. Don't have SLI however, well you can pretty much experiance it now without replacing you motherboard.

Either way you look at it this is an extremly powerful card, they just put it out at the worst possible time.

What he meant was it uses two PCBs, so really it is two cards. What your saying is like if you took two playing cards out of a deck and placed them on top of each other means it becomes one card, which is false. It is just two GPUs with seperate PCBs using the same PCIe slot.

Spending anymore then 500 bucks on a video card(s) isn't a very logical choice at the moment. DX10 cards will be out less then 6 months, so by the time some godly game comes to challenge SLI 7900s (even oblivion doesn't) DX10 cards will be out or just around the bin.

And, about the dx10 games, you will still be able to run them on vista, just without the eye candy. All vista games will be dx9 enabled for the backwards compatibility, but also dx10 enabled for those who have "broken loose" from the dx9 cards. Still, i had plans to upgrade to a 7900gtx at the end of tis summer, but i decided to wait for the geforce 8 cards, which will be dx10.

What he meant was it uses two PCBs, so really it is two cards. What your saying is like if you took two playing cards out of a deck and placed them on top of each other means it becomes one card, which is false. It is just two GPUs with seperate PCBs using the same PCIe slot.
Exactly and thank you. Its two cards put together and SLId on one slot. Its better to have SLI on two slots. This is just a money gimmick to trick you into thinking its the same as SLI when its really not. It performs less than SLI, not by much, but still. Your best bet is if you want SLI performance then save and buy it period. Like ive said before, its rediculous. NOW, if you get 2 of these and SLID wellll, yea then rock on lol.

I know it performs less then SLI, I saw benchmarks for it and it performed worse then two 7900 GT's I believe, though not by much.

NOW, if you get 2 of these and SLID wellll, yea then rock on lol.

Like I said, that would be the whole point of getting this card is to turn it into a quad SLI when the driver is released by Nivida, which is something I would love to try if I had the money. As a single card, this really is a waste because its not much above a 7900 GT KO but two of them working together would be a true sight to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom