Failure to load operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
some o/s dont have the format opcion in the disc and if you try to load the OS with all the net,audio or any other cards its gonna take longer
you gonna have to check everything like it was a new setup (it actualy is) setting bios checking temps , boot settings and if you can load just the minimum you can (just do the floppy , cd , hard drive , keyboard and mouse later if everything goes fine do the other extra cards (if any) since you build it probl ... you need to start from the motherboard its set rigth? next cpu all the cables and on
for last you migth want to check if your mobo has this settings
n_ensamblar_pc_06.jpg

Athlon 1700 XP settings are 133 X 11 MHz
good luck.

Thanks juan, I will check and let you know if it has that setting.

Killians, I get it now, thank you. The hard disk I would be willing to do the write zeros to format it thing with is several years old. You mentioned a problem with old drives, how old is too old?
Also, what is the name of the program so I can get it and try it?

Thanks guys

Right, the program is called first aid. Sorry, I didn't read that.

Also, as for the Hard drives, I have removed the second disk. I have attempted with only the one disk and it gives the error. I then switch disks, tried with only one, a different one, and it also gave the error. Does that help you move to the next step of trouble shooting?

um, just thought of something here. you said it starts with the installation and then the problem you get is when it restarts and just keeps going back to the cd and starts the installation over. I THINK that is what you have wrote. well, before it boots REMOVE the cd. see what happens. also you can try a flat file install. create a directory on you HDD, just call it win, and copy the system files from the cd to there and run setup from the HDD so you dont use the cd. it works on all the prev editions of windows, so I think you should be able to do this on XP. also check and see if the mother board requires any special drivers for its controllers. although XP SHOULD have what is required, MB manufacturers sometimes do have secial drivers for things like special chipset drivers, HD controllers, etc (kind of like when you had to load PIIX on the older machines.) As far as how old, I would say drives prior to the 2gig times. They contained manufacturer info in certain partition areas and a lowlevel format would wipe out that info.

also, noticed that looks like a intgrated vid card is in there. newer boards have intgrated vid AND an AGP slot, and supposedly the ingrted will disable itself if another card is in the AGP slot, but that doesn't happen all the time. I would check in the bios, make sure that onboard graphics is disabled and if needed (not sure if this is an option) the AGP is slot is enabled. Dont know if these newer MB need that, but its worth a look.

Thanks for all the help, I will attempt the various suggestions and post back.

The RAM is Crucial brand, and I doubt it is still in warranty. I have two sticks though, so I will remove one and try, if it still errors out I can switch them and try the other. I also have memtest that I can run. my feeling is that the ram is ok because I tested it right before I swapped the two mobos, and it was fine then.

I will update in a few days. Thanks everyone.

well, dont know why I didn't notice this before but since you put in a new MB, make sure you install the correct mainboard drivers first. You can have HUGE issues when switching out MBD, just because the PCI bridge, AGP bridge and IDE controller drivers are different. Thats PROBABLY you problem right there. Load in the correct controller drivers for the MBD (may need to do a flat install then copy them over into the win installation, check the MBD manufacturer for details).

"Motherboard"

I've done the vary same thing, and Unfortunateley it may likeley be caused by the motherboard you have NOW. Or it could just be that your processor is just to old to process the complexed code that is Windows XP....

:cool: :cool:

What type of processor do you have anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom