HELP my Computer's Possesed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammagi

Solid State Member
I can't figure out why my Pentium 4 with Windows 2000 mysteriously restarts over and over. Then other times won't turn on for ten minutes. The fan sometimes runs only and the on light doesn't go on for about 5 minutes. Now I can't get it to go on at all.

I tried reseating everything and swapping out the ram. Nothing. I'm stumped. :(

id say its heat. Can you next time post in the right forum. In this case the hardware forum thanks. My guess ur fans arn't seateed right and your cpu gets to hot and shuts off

Since it's a Pentium 4, they are known for how hot they get. So here's a couple of things you should check.

1. Make sure that your CPU fan is mounted correctly.

2. Make sure that your heatsink is mounted correctly.

3. Did you put thermal paste on it?

XT said:
id say its heat. Can you next time post in the right forum. In this case the hardware forum thanks. My guess ur fans arn't seateed right and your cpu gets to hot and shuts off

It does it hot or cold.

This sounds somewhat similar to when my motherboard died, though not exactly similar.

Also, the thing about cpu overheating is that it can happen very quickly, even though it hasn't been on long, it can happen. Try their suggestions.

If it isn't heat, I would lean toward Powersupply. The fact that your lights aren't coming on might mean not enough power.

and because it sounds suspiciously similar to my dead motherboard, I wouldn't rule that out either. Have you had a poweroutage recently?

Good point ebolaosu, it sounds like he doesn't have a powerful enough powersupply. How many watts does your powersupply pump out iammagi?

FireFox said:
Good point ebolaosu, it sounds like he doesn't have a powerful enough powersupply. How many watts does your powersupply pump out iammagi?

I don't know off hand but it worked fine for the past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom