7950... Wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The graphics will not automatically improve it you switch to DX10. They would have to be manually improved. It's like turning a 128kbps mp3 into a 320kbps mp3, it dosn't improve because you cant make it sound better than what you originally started out with. Same things goes for changing from DX9 to DX10, if they just port it nothing will change, but if they manually add new DX10-only effects, then it will look better.

Tbh. This is dissapointing more than anything else. I may as well not upgrade the PC at all this (late) summer as originally planned...

http://www.ukgamer.com/article.php4?id=323&page=1

Little article I found that talks a little bit about DX10 along with the R600 card ATI is producing. Looks like DX10 won't really be required for a good while.

On topic though, anyone know of any reviews about this card. Seems like it's way above anything else out right now and would love to read some more about it.

The only DX10 game that is coming out this year (to my knowledge, tell if there is others) is Crysis, and even at an interview they said all the footage and screenies you have seen were all runing on single core CPUs and DirectX9 hardware (well some newer ones may have DX10 effects but even still, the ones in 9 look tasty). UT07 was designed around the 6800 and 7800 series of cards, so if you have a 7900 or X1900 card you should be fine (and Unreal Engine is DX9).

And if your wondering why the 7950 cards are only clocked at 500 each was because to get two G71 cores clocked at 650 it would require two 6-pin PCIe plugs for one of those cards(because it uses more power), meaning if you want to have two of them for quad SLI, you would need 4 6-pin PCIe plugs (pretty much all PSUs that have PCIe plugs only have 2). You could use molex to PCIe adapters but that will eat up a lot of plugs and you would need a HUGE amount of power. So SLI 7900 GTXs will eat one of these cards up.

From what I've seen on a few benchmarks 7900 GTX SLI really isn't all that superior to the 7950G2. Most games only do a few more FPS and when it gets as high as the benchmarks stated, the human eye can't even tell a difference.

At that point it isn't worth an extra $400-$500 especially when we will soon be able to quad SLI with cards like these. That will be insane.

Actually, from what I have been reading the quad SLI doesn't even work yet. nVidia hasn't come out with the drivers to support it, *ouch*.

Jag28 said:
From what I've seen on a few benchmarks 7900 GTX SLI really isn't all that superior to the 7950G2. Most games only do a few more FPS and when it gets as high as the benchmarks stated, the human eye can't even tell a difference.

At that point it isn't worth an extra $400-$500 especially when we will SOON be able to quad SLI with cards like these. That will be insane.

I know it's not ready yet, never said it was. By years end however it will be though I'm sure with a few kinks.

This is a amazing card and if it wasn't for DX10 coming out soon I would already be saving up to get one. COurse by the time I'm done saving DX10 will be a standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom