MAC vs. PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really just comes down to what it will be used for. If it for school, he should find out what his classes/teachers use etc...

I studied business and MIS in school and everything was PC. The pony tailed guys with the MAC's were screwed, they kept having to use the lab because none of the programs would run on there machine.

Now if you were in graphics design or something, it would probably be different.

cwiz said:
from an engineering pov, apples are far superior. they actually hire mechanical engineers to design the printed circuit boards (PCB's) inorder to minimize the amount of space they use.

So, Intel blindfolds some artists and tells them to draw a motherboard layout? Yeah, ummm... I'm pretty sure every other motherboard manufacturer has electrical engineers designing the motherboards in conjunction with the people who are designing the architecture.

I'm also fairly sure that you meant electrical engineers, unless Apple uses a combination of simple machines and tons of ingenuity to create a fully mechanical laptop. Now, maybe they hire mechanical engineers to design the casing, casing materials, hinges, etc., but they sure don't touch the electrical stuff.

let me get this right
-mouse lacks the design, your hand hurts after 30 mins of using it,
-no right click which really bugs me
-crappy OS with slow running programs unless they come with the OS (because anything else is not compatible) like opening large images in CS
-And ... even Cnet said that the battery life is around 2-3 hours, so compare that with the centrino
- many reviews day that the power supply runs out after a year or so because is not "built well" (but the laptop has a nice design) it's like having a pimpin cadillac with geo metro engine

So mac pulls the looks with their design, advertising, but what's on the inside counts

Apple is doing really bad now becuase they topped out with selling iPods and their stock is really loosing so they need some boost and that's where marketing comes into play.

If macs are so GREAT, why do 95% of the people, institutions, businesses, schools, and home users use PC? good question... **cough cough ** maybe they are better than Macs overall.

And hey, there was this comparison of the OsX and Windows XP over 300+ categories and guess what, they scored the same.

Wow, I think you get the most misinformed post of the day award. Congrats.

-mouse lacks the design, your hand hurts after 30 mins of using it
Not true. Apple Pro Mouse has quite a nice design, and my hand has never hurt after using one.
-no right click which really bugs me
Uhh...MIGHTY MOUSE!! Also, any two-button USB mouse works with OS X 10.3 and up, and BOTH buttons have full functionality.
-crappy OS with slow running programs unless they come with the OS (because anything else is not compatible) like opening large images in CS
Crappy? The Mach kernel may be a mess, but at least it's stable, and doesn't have an internet browser integrated into it. It also doesn't get weighted down easily. If someone would take the time to clean it up or change to the Linux kernel, it would smoke Windows.
EDIT: Let me rephrase this, because I really screwed this section up. The Mach kernel IS more stable and neater than the NT kernel, but not as fast as the Linux kernel, because it's larger and neater. So, while Mac OS X is superior to Windows, all I'm saying is that if someone took the time to port OS X to the Linux kernel (which I hear may happen...), it would smoke Windows rather than just beat it.
-And ... even Cnet said that the battery life is around 2-3 hours, so compare that with the centrino
My dad's Centrino (Pentium M, actually, there is no Centrino processor) runs for about 2.5 hours on battery before dying. Compare that to the Apple time of 2-3 hours.
- many reviews day that the power supply runs out after a year or so because is not "built well" (but the laptop has a nice design) it's like having a pimpin cadillac with geo metro engine
As a Geo owner and Mac owner, I find this MORE annoying than most Apple fans. I have owned several Macs, all of which are still chuggin' along after six or more years, a few running near 24/7. Plus, there's nothing wrong with a Geo's engine; it's just small, not unreliable, and fits the size of the car quite well.
If macs are so GREAT, why do 95% of the people, institutions, businesses, schools, and home users use PC? good question... **cough cough ** maybe they are better than Macs overall.
Because Dell is cheap, has an incredible marketing strategy, and people don't know any better (save most of the people here, who build because it's a better way; even I'll admit that.)

So next time, please either cite your sources, make informed statements, or keep quiet.

just saying here, that i really respect your opinion (macdude), but pc's just make more sense in almost every way. Mac's are a lot more user friendly, if all goes as planned... lets say your digital camera is jammed or something, how do you get the files?? the camera doesnt show up on the desktop or anywhere in finder, or at least mine doesnt (nikkon coolpix). With a PC, i could just go open up my computer, drive M:\ or something, then take out all the files.

And i agree how mac could be better, but people still use PC's, because in many cases, it is the truth. People don't take time to learn new things, however. For example, the dvorak keyboard layout improves your typing by up to 20 wpm on average (i think... check wikipedia). I went from 90 to 110ish wpm after switching to a dvorak keyboard... and my hands just feel so much better! but.... even though its better, people dont use it because they are too stupid to realize/learn it. (it gets confusing going from my computer, to my apple which doesn't have the dvorak enabled, then back, and forth, etc :p)

AMD vs Intel == PC vs Mac --- no answer, and "fan boys" in a sense

macdude425 said:
Not true. Apple Pro Mouse has quite a nice design, and my hand has never hurt after using one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crappy? The Mach kernel may be a mess, but at least it's stable, and doesn't have an internet browser integrated into it. It also doesn't get weighted down easily. If someone would take the time to clean it up or change to the Linux kernel, it would smoke Windows.[/B]

I agree with your post except on these two points...

Every mac on my campus has the Pro-Mouse hooked up. The click-hinge feels like it's inside my palm, and my hand does hurt while using it in my 3+ hour classes. However, this is all personal preference - if you like the Pro-Mouse, then that's quite alright. I dislike the Pro-Mouse, and when possible I bring my mouse from my computer back in my dorm room.

On your Mach Kernel point, you're defending something that has a flaw in it - "Well, if somebody took the time to fix it, it'd be really nice!" - yeah, so would this place: http://misheli.image.pbase.com/u41/copperhill/large/14948273.DSC_0893.jpg

Point is, it needs work. Yes, so does just about everything in both OS's, but to say "If somebody completely changed the Linux Kernel or put more time and energy into making this thing work better, it'd smoke Windows", that's just giving credit to where it's not due. You wouldn't trust a real-estate agent trying to sell you that old house now, would you? I could say the same thing about Windows...

"Man, if somebody just spent a couple hours re-writing the Windows Kernel, sister applications, and general interface, it would totally school any other operating system!"
(somebody has made Windows into a killer OS, but I can't really get into that here.......)

I'm on a heart attack course to get the BSOD.

Eagleboy, are you talking about Windows XP Borg Edition? lol.

tommyboy123x said:
just saying here, that i really respect your opinion (macdude), but pc's just make more sense in almost every way. Mac's are a lot more user friendly, if all goes as planned... lets say your digital camera is jammed or something, how do you get the files?? the camera doesnt show up on the desktop or anywhere in finder, or at least mine doesnt (nikkon coolpix). With a PC, i could just go open up my computer, drive M:\ or something, then take out all the files.

And i agree how mac could be better, but people still use PC's, because in many cases, it is the truth. People don't take time to learn new things, however. For example, the dvorak keyboard layout improves your typing by up to 20 wpm on average (i think... check wikipedia). I went from 90 to 110ish wpm after switching to a dvorak keyboard... and my hands just feel so much better! but.... even though its better, people dont use it because they are too stupid to realize/learn it. (it gets confusing going from my computer, to my apple which doesn't have the dvorak enabled, then back, and forth, etc :p)

AMD vs Intel == PC vs Mac --- no answer, and "fan boys" in a sense

I hope these all work in Mac OSX, if not, then i'm making a jackass out of myself.

cat /proc/partitions

Find the camera device.

mount /dev/cameradevice /where/ever/you/want

How do you deal with it in Windows? Oh, thats right ... Click click click away on the mouse, trying to find something that makes sense, checking the "status" of a certain piece of hardware, when in most cases it is completely wrong.

You need to understand how an operating system works before you can make arguments about mounting drives. The camera device needs to be mounted in order for it to show up in "My Computer," just as it needs to be mounted on the desktop on a Mac. The chances for either getting fowled up are the same. Just that on a Mac, there are options to fix the problem.

"People don't take time to learn new things, however."

What? So Windows has been around forever? No one had to "learn" it? Strange, last I heard Mac OS has been around longer than Windows. Even had a GUI in 1984. Where was Windows back then? Oh, that's right, DOS. That was REAL easy to learn. Then came Windows. I assume some phenominal surge of energy just got people to automatically know how to use it. Now any human who is born is born with the knowledge to use Windows. And they have to rebel and try something different if they want to use a Mac or Linux or whatever OS that isn't Windows.

Dvorak - Dvorak is not better. You can't say that, its totally personal preference. What if I said that having the keys in alphabetical order was the best, because n00bs can find keys easily? And that makes it fast. I'll be honest, I tried Dvorak. I almost fell over and passed out. I swear it was like drinking poison, I was stumbling around trying to find the keys, looking at the keyboard. It was a mess, I'm sticking to qwerty, at least for now. Maybe I'll work on Dvorak when I go on vacation. It will give me something to do. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure you can use Dvorak on a Mac, I don't remember how it's done though.

windows for gaming
mac for everything else
END OF STORY
but if more game publishers decided to make a mac port i reckon mac gaming would be better.....

No, he's right. dvorak is better. i cant believe after that whole rant you just said that too, your yelling about not having to learn windows, well its the same with qwerty and dvorak. dvorak IS more efficient, they did tests, secretaries who've done both the same amount of time prefer dvorak and type as much as 30wpm faster, sure its a ***** to learn, but so is everything that's totally different.
and thats where macs go wrong too. they're too similar to pcs, they probably lose preformance and ability trying to steal PC market, they should do something totally radical and see where it takes them (like nintendo) instead of dropping to competing with dell for buisiness. theyre after the money now, not the preformance. and thats why i dont like macs, because theyre focusing on stealing the market, whereas established pc market doesnt have to worry (mostly) and they just make there junk better. anyone that concentrates on stealing market or totally competing is losing sight. sure prices drop in an extremely competitive market, but so does innovation.
apple had a few good innovations and now theyve just turned in a more chiq (pardonner mon mauvais français) dell.
suck it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom