Improving Dial Up Download Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironicaly I still dont understand this Dial Up Havic! KBPS stands for KiloBits Per Second, Bits are a completly diffrent mesurement standard for Computers *** sene here:

There are 8 Bits in 1 Byte
There are 1024 Bytes in one KiloByte
There are 1024 KiloBytes in one Megabyte

So in all reality shouldnt my modem be running at 1/8th of the number it claims? 56kbps should be roughly 7(Kilobytes per second). Now I know cirtan factors fit into play, such as Distance from your Dial-Up server and things like how well your Anolog Phone port is connected to your main phone line.

However, nothing has changed for me (Except for a couple of Re installs of windows.) I have not moved my computer, swiched phone lines or anything like that, not even ISP's or my Software version.

Mabye I will just assume that Aol is lowering their bandwidth because they are running out of money LOL DIAL-UP SUCKS!

No, Kb/s stands for kilo bits per second. (little b)

Technically there are 8 bits in a byte, 1024 bytes in a kibibyte, 1024 kibibytes in a mibibyte and 1024 mibibytes in a gibibyte. - but I only said that to confuse you more. ;)

Hard drives have 1000bytes in a kilobyte, 1000kilobytes in a megabyte and 1000megabyte in a gigabyte.

Your exchange may have been switched, which is why your speed has suddenly been lowered due to the distance it has lowered your connection.

Trifid said:

Hard drives have 1000bytes in a kilobyte, 1000kilobytes in a megabyte and 1000megabyte in a gigabyte.
I beg to differ about that:
Typical Mathmatical Systems (In almost every country in the world) Use a Base10 matchmatical system. However, computers, due to Binary, use a Base2 system mesured in 0's and 1's what this means in real life is that everything has to increase by 2's nothing else. Have you ever wondered why all HD's adn all RAM is always even 2MB 4MB 6MB then it may also double if technology can do it such as 2MB 4MB 8MB 16MB 32MB 64MB 128MB 256MB 512MB and 1024MB (Or One Gigabyte) Computers ONLY EMULATE A BASE10 system. Cheers

haha... more total pwnage tonight:

bandwidth.png

hehe, not really... i get more around the T1 3000

but back to your thing... there isnt too much you can do, i know mcaffe has a little graph to show you whats using your bandwidth, but it could just be a little issue with your connection that will pass in a few days

It is powers of 2. I am not saying that is wrong. I am saying that it has a different name that no one cares to use. I only found out about it by accident.

Trifid said:
It is powers of 2. I am not saying that is wrong. I am saying that it has a different name that no one cares to use. I only found out about it by accident.
LOL where in the world did you hear Kililiboboliybit LOL or whatever it was LMAO ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom