More OS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durnberg

Solid State Member
I think os.

I came home from work and the computers screen was black

I rebooted and it POST's fine but once it gets to the point that it should come up with the windows splash screen is pauses for a good 2 minutes then it comes up. Shortly thereafter the computer reboots.

So. I had an extra IDE drive in there, I figured I would install XP on it for the time being. After the files copied over in the blue screen it did exactly the same thing as it was with the SATA HDD. I removed the battery from the MoBo for a awhile and booted again. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.

Any suggestions?

I have tried 1 stick that is 1 gb alone and a different stick that is 256 both exact same results. Any other ideas? I am going to remove the soundcard. My wife just told he she was on it and she got a flash of blue screen then it rebooted to the screen I came home too.

I have removed the soundcard and same thing. I dont think the board has onboard video otherwise I would remove it as well. I have tried all kinds of different arragement with the RAM but nothing changes.

I appreciate the input

Biohazard_2.0 said:
I had that problem before, (In my case) it was a HD problem, I had to buy a new one

I have tried installing on a second HD, exactly the same problem.

Yea then that does sound like your having a fun time! What are the Exact Specs on the PC and what OS are we working with Pro or Home SP1, SP1a SP2 are a modifyed or No Service Pack. What CD is it and OEM, a CD that came with the computer, a store bough (non-OEM) CD. And what brand of PC. I have herd of even processors being the problem =(

Black and red Scorpio 868 gaming case 500W Power Supply
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD 64 3000+ CPU
ATI 9600 pro 256 MB
80GB FAST SATA 150 Hard Drive with 8MB Cache
250 GB Maxtor ATA + 40 Maxtor ATA
LG 16X DVD Burner, Dual Layer DVD+/-/Ram
Soundblaster Audigy 1
10/100 Yukon Fast LAN (onboard)
Windows XP Pro SP1(32bit)

I have noticed something that is going to make me try another drive again. When I am trying to install Windows it gets to a point where it is "Examining the drives" it hangs for a long time on the SATA (the one I want to use) for quite some time then takes no time on the others. Maybe when I tried this the first time I did something stupid.

I'll get back to you.

Now the ATA drive is working fine, thanks for the help.

Is the SATA drive useless? What would cause such latency on it?

I have partitioned the 250 GB (7200rpm) drive to a 50 gig for the OS and the rest for data. How much of a performance loss will this create, going from the 80 GB SATA1 7200 rpm to the new set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom