Need Advice Over Heating Processor/Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukes

Solid State Member
how can u tell which is over heating cuz when i was playing a game the graphics(FPS) suddenly dimishes. i thought it was my video card at first but now i'm not sure

The basic process goes like this

First, i'll be playing the game then all of a sudden, there whole frame rate lessons

Second i'll look in front of my computer and it'll say the temperture(around 115 F) which is directly connected to there processor.

Then, if i keep play the computer just restarts on its own. no signs no nothing just like a regular reboot

It happens often in games like world of warcraft, battlefield 2 but this time i was playing civilization IV, i know, its not a a high graphics game but when ur deep into it, more and more graphics are being used.

As oppose to specs i'm running a 2.8 gig intel processor, 1gig of ram. and radeonx800. also its customly made. i'll probably get the artic cooler if its the video card but i can't figure out why it just restarts

Any help would be great help Thank You.

Go into the bios and compare the actual temp of teh cpu to the case gauge you will probably find it is off by a fair amount. Have you cleaned your HSF lately. To view your temps in real time you can download a program like everest home to monitor your temps.

turtile said:
Include all your specs (including PSU)

sorry i'm not that that familar with the specific specs/PSU, sorry i just kinda know the basics, i'll be more than happy to look it up if u can kinda give me a guide line

FlashDude said:
Go into the bios and compare the actual temp of teh cpu to the case gauge you will probably find it is off by a fair amount. Have you cleaned your HSF lately. To view your temps in real time you can download a program like everest home to monitor your temps.

"Have you cleaned your HSF lately." probably not, figuring i don't know wut that is, although if i've cleaned the dust in my computer recently witha dustoff.

I have this thermometer thing that is connected to the front of my PC, showing a screen telling me how hot what ever the thermometer is touching. so i had it on my processor then around my video card, both reaching a degree of around 118 more/less, playing a simple game like civilization 4.

Also i forgot to mention that most of the time the computer restarts once the FPS goes down, but somtimes it just restart out of nowhere.

i know i'm in quite a pickel here

Dukes said:

"Have you cleaned your HSF lately." probably not, figuring i don't know wut that is, although if i've cleaned the dust in my computer recently witha dustoff.

HSF = cpu Heat Sink & Fan, Have a look at it is it plugged with dust.

I think his graphics use is overheating the CPU and the bios is shutting down the computer. Just my guess.

FlashDude said:
HSF = cpu Heat Sink & Fan, Have a look at it is it plugged with dust.

yeah i cleaned all that off with compressed air.

leonardmp92 said:
I think his graphics use is overheating the CPU and the bios is shutting down the computer. Just my guess.

that could be it, i ask other people this and everyone seems to give me a different answer; get a new video card, u have a virus(which i don't), power supply, ram.

lol i might as well buy a new computer if all that was the case, but yeah wow this restart has to stop especial when its one those games where u have to save and quit.

**Also would the bios still be restarting the comp out of no where? somtimes i don't even playa game and it restarts out of no where.

Yes, I think the bios would restart the computer anytime the temp gets too high. Not sure if it's your graphics card getting too high or the actual cpu. If you had a speedfan/temp program, you might be able to determine this. Your bios might also show this.

i downloaded speed fan i don't know how to work it, well inorder tos how the video card/processor/bios temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom