wrong ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimoanton

Beta member
Hey everybody,

I just bought some new ram to speed things along on my Toshiba Satellite 1800. I thought I bought the right stuff, but I may be wrong. I put it in and all the pins lined up and all that, but when I turned it on, it just went "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" and no further. I was wondering if I bought a piece of garbage or I bought the wrong type of ram.

It was labelled: Laptop 256MB SDRAM PC100-222-620

On the ram itself, is "PC 100-222-620 256MB, SYNCH, 100MHz, CL2" What exactly is "PC 100-22-620"? Could it be that this is not the same or compatible with PC100? Also, I'm not clear on "SYNCH" or "CL2".

Any info would be much appreciated,

Jim - long time reader, first time asker

There are about 10 diferent models of 1800's I am not sure which one your's is but almost all of them take ram like this. If it doesn't say sdram pc 100 sodimm then it isn't the right ram. You need something like this. 512mb sdram pc100 sodimm

Thanks for your reply FlashDude. The model number on my Satellite 1800 is PS181Z-00WZX. So, you think the RAM that I have should fit? Where would the "SODIMM" bit be written? There's no mention of it anywhere. Is that a good sign that it is not SODIMM?
By the way, any clue as to the "PC 100-222-620" bit? Or the "SYNCH" and "CL2"
Thanks again,
Jim

well if it fit in then it must be a SO-DIMM, judging by your description it is the correct type. did you remove the battery and power cord when you installed it? i think it is possible to install SO-DIMM's backwards so you may want to check that. i also know of more than one instance where someone thought it was all the way in the slot and it wasn't. so basically go back and make certain that it is installed correctly.

thanks nitestick. I tried it again. The battery and power cord were disconnected and I'm sure it was in correctly (there is only one way it could possibly fit) and I'm sure it was in all the way. I guess it is just a bunk piece, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom