Which notebook is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odin5578

Solid State Member
Ok guys. I've heard some really bad things and a couple good things about the ATI Radeon X200M... want to know how much I've heard about it and how much I've researched it? I've memorized the name! and that's quite a feat for me. So here's the two notebooks I can choose and I want you guys to help me.

I want to be able to play a few games on it not great games like Quake 4 or anything just I want to be able to play games like Neverwinter Nights, Black and White 1, and Dungeon Seige maybe MAYBE Doom 3. I want these games to play at a decent frame rate. The main purpose for this notebook is studying but what fun is studying if you can't stop and game a bit. Ok here's the system's which is better for what I want to do with it.

Both are HP's.
System One:
-Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2500 (2.0 GHz)
-15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
-128MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
-2.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024MB)
-80 GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive
-Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
-12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
-Windows XP Home Edition

**Extra choices for this system: I can go down to 1 GB Ram with 2 512(so no upgrading option) and get the Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2600 (2.16 GHz).

System Two:
-AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-40 (2.2GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
-128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
-1.0GB DDR SDRAM (1x1024MB)
-80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
-Windows XP Home Edition

**This system is signifcantly cheaper. I could actually go to 2GB Ram and it'd still be cheaper than system one.

This is a Toshiba Satellite
System Three:
-Intel Centrino with Intel Pentium M Processor 760 at 2GHz / 533MHz System Bus / 2MB L2 Cache
-17 Inch Diagonal WXGA widescreen Active-Matrix TFT LCD with TruBrite technology with up to 1440 x 900 resolution
-1GB DDR2 SDRAM Upgradeable to 2GB
-100GB EIDE ATA-6 (5400 rpm) Hard Drive
-Double-layer compatible DVD+-RW / CD-RW combo drive
-ATI Mobility RADEON X600SE Graphic Processor with 128MB DDR Video memory
-Windows Media Center 2005

**This system I'd have to wait a little longer to get but it's cheaper than both system one and two.

This is an ABS Mayhem
System Four:
AMD Turion64 MT-37(2.0GHz)
15.4" WXGA Screen
1GB DDR RAM
100GB 5400 RPM HD
Dual-Layer DVD Burner
ATI Mobility Radeon x700 (128MB)

**This system is $100 more than the Toshiba. It's an ABS and I've never heard of that company.

Odin5578 said:
System Two:
-AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-40 (2.2GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
-128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
-1.0GB DDR SDRAM (1x1024MB)
-80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
-Windows XP Home Edition

**This system is signifcantly cheaper. I could actually go to 2GB Ram and it'd still be cheaper than system one.

This is a Toshiba Satellite
System Three:
-Intel Centrino with Intel Pentium M Processor 760 at 2GHz / 533MHz System Bus / 2MB L2 Cache
-17 Inch Diagonal WXGA widescreen Active-Matrix TFT LCD with TruBrite technology with up to 1440 x 900 resolution
-1GB DDR2 SDRAM Upgradeable to 2GB
-100GB EIDE ATA-6 (5400 rpm) Hard Drive
-Double-layer compatible DVD+-RW / CD-RW combo drive
-ATI Mobility RADEON X600SE Graphic Processor with 128MB DDR Video memory
-Windows Media Center 2005

**This system I'd have to wait a little longer to get but it's cheaper than both system one and two. [/B]

Either of those two would be good, but i would choose the Toshiba, because of the nice screen :D

it is :(

lappy's aren't meant for gaming, and i do know for sure, that the video card on most laptops aren't for gaming.

Supposedly, you can upgrade the video card on laptops, you could try that.... :surprised:

Is the Centrino M really the way I want to go for gaming? I would've thought the Turion or the Duo Core would've been better, yet they're all new processors to me so I don't really know.

Is the Video Card on system 3 any good or better than the rest?

All the video cards are chipsets. Barely adequate for anything...

The Centrino and Turion are basically the same, just Intel and AMD.

The Celeron M is underpowered; avoid it.

I THINK that the video on system 2 is integrated, and quite possibly uses 'shared memory', where the video card uses the RAM as memory.

Anyways, what is your timeframe for getting the laptop, and where do you plan on purchasing it? (online, in a store, from a friend....). I am just wondering how you narrowed it down to those 4 you have listed. ALSO, what is your budget for this laptop?

I would suggest that you also base your decision in part (LARGE part) on power consumption, and battery life. Generally speaking, the higher the performance of the laptop, the power consumption also goes up. The intel cor duo will have the shortest battery life of the ones you listed.

I posted on your other thread, but I'll say it again.

My laptop has the 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM). I can play CS perfectly, and CSS is decent. I don't usually lag, though I play at the lowest resolution. Read my other post for my comment on your decision for laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom