Artic Silver 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, just a dab will do ya. i reapply every 6 months as stated above...
*****************NOTE*************************
the properties of AS-5 change with time and heat. Inother words, you need to leave your computer on for at least a day or two before you start doing high load ops. It works better after 100 hours than when you first apply it!

A lot of people put a dab on their finger and spreader it around on the CPU instead of letting pressure do its job; it works fine that way. Its not harmful.

hmm. I put a pretty big dollop on mine, and spread it out with a piece of card. Although it works completely fine and has done for a very long time now, at some pretty low temperatures at that, i probably should have looked into it more first :p
Theres me with my "more is better" theory.

So yup, just a tiny splodge. when you put the heatsink back on the pressure will even it out for you.

Acctually With AS5, the "more is better" statement is false.

If you put too much on, it cant transfer the heat and therefore its use is bascially a negative effect.

McHopsky said:
A lot of people put a dab on their finger and spreader it around on the CPU instead of letting pressure do its job; it works fine that way. Its not harmful.
Thats bad. It puts skin oil in the mix and impedes heat transfer. You don't want to touch it for any reason. Pressure is always the best way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom