new case???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Belcik

Beta member
i own an HP media center pc, and i was curious if i could purchase a different case with no ill effect.

Mike Belcik said:
i own an HP media center pc, and i was curious if i could purchase a different case with no ill effect.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it should make no difference.

As long as the case isn't too small and it isn't a case that is more susceptible to heat. If the old case has case fans I would suggest putting them or new ones on the new case. It can never be too cool :p

But if you are buying a new case to replace the one that came with the computer I'm sure that you would not have these issues.

As long as the computer is using the same form factor (ATX, BTX, etc.) as the case you buy, then you should be fine. For instance, it would be hard to put a Mac mini in any computer case, because it doesn't really follow any mainstream specification.

Other than that, Durnberg covered the possible issues.

u dont really need to replace a case dude, unless u have unbelievably hot temperatures, and for that they have fans, and liquid cooling systems.

As VisionRay said, make sure that before you buy a case, you need to find out if the form factor of the HP motherboard is a standard format, or proprietary. I know that some OEM's have proprietary form's, and you won't be able to get the hardware in without modification to the motherboard tray.

Rather than call HP support, you could probably call Best Buy, Circuit City, or CompUSA and see if they can confirm if your model PC has a standard form factor motherboard.

If this is your first time putting hardware in a new case, know that you can NEVER ASK TOO MANY QUESTIONS... better to be sure and doublecheck than be sorry, and lose a component because you missed a step.

john3 said:
u dont really need to replace a case dude, unless u have unbelievably hot temperatures, and for that they have fans, and liquid cooling systems.
He could just be changing the case for the outside appearance.....those beige cases can get kind of boring....

Change the case, it wont make a difference. Just make sure you have the same form factor mobo with case. i.e., dont buy a Micro-ATX case and then find out that you have an ATX mobo, it wont work. If you plan on upgrading anything in the comp, make sure you get a better psu because those HP/dell ones are quite lacking.

thebleakness said:
He could just be changing the case for the outside appearance.....those beige cases can get kind of boring....

absolutely : ) I will be sure to contact best buy and check up on the form factor. thanks for your help guys. i appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom