login pw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksingler

In Runtime
Hey, I was just wondering if someone could tell me how to set up a password when starting your computer up, so you would have to type in the password in order to be able to log into the account, you know? Ive tried google'n it, but I didn't find what I wanted to.
thanks

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post201127.html#post201127
If you simply must set a BIOS password, know that if you lose it, you lose access to your machine until you drop $50-$200 to fix it. In order to set a BIOS password, you must first load your BIOS configuration. You load the configuration by pressing a key or combination of keys during the POST (Power-On Self-Test). The key you press varies but is usually Del, F2, or F8. If you look at the information displayed during the POST, you will see that it tells you what key to use (if you only see a power-on splash screen, press escape to remove that screen and show the POST information). Once you access the BIOS configuration, it is fairly easy to figure out how to set the password.

If you simply must set a BIOS password, know that if you lose it, you lose access to your machine until you drop $50-$200 to fix it.

That's not true you just pull the battery or reset the cmos to remove the bios password. What OS are you using? Xp I will asume. Just go into control panel and and user accounts and click on change account and then add password.

FlashDude said:
That's not true you just pull the battery or reset the cmos to remove the bios password. What OS are you using? Xp I will asume. Just go into control panel and and user accounts and click on change account and then add password.

Yes, I am using windows XP, sorry for not including that in my last post. Thanks for the info Fdude, lol, so simple to do it :)

FlashDude said:

That is true is a lot of cases...

i think we can keep the password even though we pull out the bios battery , by setting the password in the bios , not sure but i think so, :p

snoopyAU said:
i think we can keep the password even though we pull out the bios battery , by setting the password in the bios , not sure but i think so, :p

by removing the battery, you reset your cmos settings back to the factory defaults.

if the default setting is to have a bios password, then it will be set as the default password. You are prompted for a bios password, if one is enabled, during the machine's POST. This password is not managed by the OS.

i should have known better than to post the quote stating you'll need to shell out 150 bucks. There's another alterantive to pulling the battery. You mobo should have a three prong jumper that is used to reset the cmos as well; see bios docs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom