Fell off the bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHAWN

Field Engineer
Whats up guys. I have been so busy that I have not really kept up with the new technology. My b-day is on Saturday and I plan on ordering new parts. I am stuck between 2 processor lines but both I feel have poor motherboard selections. I was looking at the socket T (775) Pentium D 3.0ghz 65nm or an AMD socket AM2 setup either or with DDR2 800. I would appreciate some opinions. I do plan on doing some overclocking after burning it in and playing games.

Either wait for AM2's dual core CPU's to hit newegg and grab an x2 4000+ and after market cooling, with some nice DDR2 800 memory and preferably a DFI motherboard (whenever they are to be released?), or go with Intel's conroe which will be released by the end of July hopefully.

Kind of wanted to go with a dual core chip but here is what I came up with

AMD 3200+ New Orleans $135
MSI K9N
OCZ 1GB(2x512) DDRII 800mhz

Still looking at video cards. Probably a 7600GT.

With Conroes release being so close I really think you should wait. Nothing comes close to its price/performance ratio.

i'm more of the school of using the well troden technology... the conroe will probably have bugs (that i dont want to deal with). i just got a s939 setup last week cuz its works great for gaming right now.
in like 9-12 months the conroe will be old hat and AMD will counter the conroe hype with quad-core processors w/ multi core GPU's and it will be all the rave. my logic is buy what actually works today and wait till the next big thing has settled out (and gotten cheaper) to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom