Asrock? Biostar? Msi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a biostar, and its pretty cool. The bios is anything but user-friendly, but once you get used to it, its not that bad. (It took me a while to know that i could/how to set my sata from raid to ide mode, which finally got winxp setup to recognize it.) The only reason i got it was because i need a new processor/mobo, but had an AGP card. Im still in with my parents, and they want to know everything that goes on, and my dad thinks intel rock for some reason and he offered ot pay part of my cpu so i got an lga-775, and i then knew another problem would come in about 6 months when i got a new video card: a pci-E slot. I would have to talk to my dad forever, and he would think i was being stupid, and i should save it for something, im gonna have to get the next big thing, and basicaly i needed a mobo i could stick with. Biostar was the only brand that had a lga-775 socket, and AGP 8x slot, and a PCI-E 16x slot. I just got a new job, and am gonna get a 7900gtx as soon as i get the cash. But the board works pretty well, and the drivers and everything were great. I really have had 0 problems with it.

I have used both for lowend systems and both are OK but I like ASRock better. Either one you use would be fine, just make sure you get one with a good chipset onboard, especially if you are running onboard video.

FlashDude said:
It thought my 6800gs/oc was a pci card that was problem, ULI has problems with bridged nvidia cards. Here is my blog entry about this

http://www.mikemcgrath.net/blog/2006/04/asrock-939-dual-sata2-vs-asus-a8v.html

If I can log in and find those results I will post the details as well.

I really think you just got a bunk board then,You're the first that i heard of with issue's like that with the Asrock,I've read ton's of review's and thread's about it and i haven't seen anyone else with problem's like that,If it was just the vid problem like you said the cpu score should have been alright but that's also real low too :confused:

i have to warn you guys that the "agp" slot on those biostar boards are actually using the PCI bus and not a dedicated true agp port. biostar calls it an xgp port but its only meant as a temporary solution. so dont buy this board if you want it for the agp port. asus has a 939 board with VIA chipset that is the only 939 board with an agp slot so get that board instead if it is that you have an already powerful agp card and dont want to waste money to buy a pcie one.

bottom line is if you get the biostar board then get PCIE gfx else you cripple a good agp card by limiting it to 33Mhz PCI bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom