Improving Dial Up Download Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biohazard_2.0

Baseband Member
Is it possible to imporve a Dial up Download rate?

Currentaly my Download rate is 3.12KB/s however, I have a 56kbps modem. To me that makes no sense becuase I should be able to download things at 56kbps. I remeber about 4 months or so ago, my download rate was 5.15kb/s. What is going on here?

That sounds about right. 56k has quite high % over heads, meaning you don't get the full 56kb/s. In a perfect worl you would get 7KB/s.

No speed internet downloads at exact what it says... -.-
on average i put together my own list, im in australia so obviously americans etc would have different speeds of internet available but this gives you an idea..

56kbps: 5kbps
128kbps: 10-12kbps
256k: 20kbps
512k: 50kbps
1.5mbps: 140kbps

That's the basic's. If you can get your 56kbps modem to download at 56kbps.. it will be a burning heap of plastic before you can even get the chance to enjoy the speed.

it also depends on where you live. i had 41 kbps usually but my uncle lived 7 miles away and he connected at 28kbps all the time...

Biohazard_2.0 said:
Is it possible to imporve a Dial up Download rate?

Currentaly my Download rate is 3.12KB/s however, I have a 56kbps modem. To me that makes no sense becuase I should be able to download things at 56kbps. I remeber about 4 months or so ago, my download rate was 5.15kb/s. What is going on here?

... 3.12 KBps is equivelant to 25 Kbps. So compared to your 56 Kbps connection that's roughly half, so not that bad.

Remember, transfer rates are usually displayed as units of Kilobytes, and bandwidth is usually displayed in units of kilobits.

Also, you cannot expect any download to actually use the full capacity of your bandwidth (56 Kbps in your case), because almost all servers will restrict the download rates, so that one user isn't hogging all their resources and that there is enough for several users to connect to the server.

This is one reason why download speeds will vary when downloading from different servers.

So, the transfer rate depends on the server you are downloading from, as well as the amount of bandwidth your connection has, and how many other active connections you have which are using that bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom