Searching for new graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutlawCecil

Beta member
I have a Dell 2400 Intel Celeron CPU 2.40GHz 640MB ram computer and I'm using the defult graphics card which isn't really any good. A while ago I baught a GeForce FX 5200 gfx card but it finally burnt up and they refused to replace it.

I am now hunting for a new graphics card and I have very little to spend and probably shouldn't even be trying to buy one... I play alot of really hardcore 3D mmorpgs on my computer so I'd need one that would play them smoothly yet be able to stand the abuse.

I was told the 5000 series burns up quickly but the 6000 series has the problem fixed. If somebody can suggest a card that would work for my computer that would fit my needs, it would be much appriatiated. I know about computers but gfx cards have alot I don't understand...

6600GT>6800XT

X1600XT is a nice choice, but then a 6800GS would beat it out. But it is hard to find AGP version of those.

What about just the regular 6800?

Would all those work for my computer? I think I have PCI slots or whatever they are called which I guess makes it harder to find cards for. Yeah about $100 for a new card would be nice but I figured that's too low for the type of card I need.

Btw PCI express is something else, correct? And what exactly is the 256MB or whatever? Is it still good to get a better gfx card if it has less?

Correct, PCI and PCIE are different. You can use CPUZ to determine what you have (AGP or PCIE wise.)

It is better to have more memory, but not always as if the game doesn't utilise the extra, than it is wasted money, and in some early 256 cases decreased performance.

I think the 6600gt will be a good match for your system specs. Having more than 640mb of ram will be better money spent than getting a 6800GS.

wait so your saying I'd get a better framerate with more ram? I thought 640 ram was pretty darn good seeing as how most comps come with like 256. Hmm... I'll have to look into that. Ive seen some good ram prices lately too.

Gaming wise it is cutting it fine. When you get to higher settings, which these cards can handle you may notice it slightly choppy with having to use the hdd as virtual RAM.

256 is really poor for even running windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom