Type of RAM important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krustis

Baseband Member
I am going from my current 1G RAM to 2G soon, but i am unsure weather the type of memory counts, i will probabaly buy corsair memory, but i dont know weather there is any difference between normal RAM or their special XMS RAM. I hope you can help me out, thanks a lot.

Once again expensive ram = value ram when diong regular stuff as in gaming, multitasking, etc.

Expensive ram > value ram only when overclocking and benchmarking like superPI as the timings matter.

he's practically saying that an expensive ram usualy has a reason to be expensive, and usualy is better than cheap ram for things like overclocking, multitasking and gaming, but it depends whats you'r needs, if you'r a serious overclocker and using a DDR2 mobo, buy a DDR2 800 ram sticks, they overclock great... if you don't, then you could go for cheaper ram and so on..

...things like overclocking, multitasking and gaming..

Why would expensive ram be better at multitasking, when it's the same amount of ram, and gaming when it's the same amount of ram?

Thx a lot guys, so for playing BF2 with a 6600GT (i dnt do overclocking) would the more expensive RAM perform better ye?

No, Just get some value RAM if you aren't going to OC. I would also look into a new video card.

get value ram. expensive ram is not worth it. You said it your self u not overclocking so gget value ram.

It is prejudice when you buy something based upon it's price. If you have scientifically tested a given brand and found out that it really overclocks better than another, cheaper one, then it is ok. Even then, the right answer would be "Stay away from this or that brand" and not "Stay away from cheaper products." Such an answer has no value for someone who's trying to find out some specific information about what to buy. But otherwise the price shouldn't matter as long as you look at the entire specs, e.g.:
Type (DDR2 over DDR), capacity, CL, and frequency.
Another issue is how long the RAM might last, but given those numerous RAMs with lifetime warranties that's not much of an issue either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom