AMD 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones you are refering to weren't tested/research/built by Nvidia. They were pretty much just a really hardcore mod to put 2 cards into one. If Nvidia (or Ati) had the right motivation they could get that idea working.
THe on im refering to was the dual 7800GT put out by Asus. Nvidia made drivers for them but they wernt great and they where just SLId on one card. Well XP detected it as a SLI.

AnthraX said:
Yes, they are working on something like that. It would make 2+ physical cores look as though it is one. This would increase the performance in single-threaded applications. Personally, I want to know what it is going to do on multi-threaded applications? Would it make them slower? Or what if you run 2 apps at the same time, would that be slower with ReverseHyperThreading on?
not really, because that "single core" will be faster than normal single core's

P.P. Mguire said:
THe on im refering to was the dual 7800GT put out by Asus. Nvidia made drivers for them but they wernt great and they where just SLId on one card. Well XP detected it as a SLI.

I still think with some added research, it could benefit a lot. We'll just see what happens I guess. I know Gigabyte has also done things like this, but will little to no support from Nvidia. I didn't know the Asus card was actually detected as SLI in XP. Dual core GPU would still be better.

I don't think anyone here doubts that someday we'll have software that takes advantage of a 4x4 type configuration (more that likely though it will die off in favor or quad cores). The problem with it is that AMD seems to be developing it to compete with the current generations of conroe chips about to come out. Its a good marketing gimmick, but it also looks like a desperation move on AMD's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom