Is 300watts enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverine007

Solid State Member
Hi! I just upgraded and my new system seems to be lacking in the video game dept. Ghost recon runs pretty much the same and with lag problems. Could this be a power issue?

old system- p2 400 512k
i440bx mobo
384mb pc 133ram
16mb matrox g450 dual head
300watt atx power supply
40x cd-rom

upgraded system- 2500+ barton 512k
asus a7n8x-x
256mb kingmax 3200 ddr
asus 9600se radeon 128mb
300watt atx power supply
40 cd-rom

I want to eventually overclock this machine but I lack the funds right now. I went cheap on the video card and ram knowing in the future i will be getting top o' the line. I thought I had 350watts but I don't. Anybody have any idea's?

Although your PS is not strong enough, it's not the cause of your problem. Your video card is since the 9600 SE is the low end of the 9600 series. You can try the following:
make sure you have the latest drivers
make sure that V-sync is off in your control panel
lower your slide bars toward performance
uncheck the custom box and let your game control AA and anisotropic filtering
in the game control panel, turn down or off the AA and anisotropic.
This should get you a few FPS more
You can also get an overclocking tool such as ATI tool or radclocker (do google search) and overclock it slightly (many threads here to tell you how to proceed) if not sure, just ask and I'll tell you how.

Let us know if it helps

Your current psu is not affecting your PC performance and i think there is no need for you to replace it.

Before u go ahead n' change ur PSU .. check the power consumpsion of ur system .. Powersupply Calculator
BAsed on this u can decide ..on the kind of PSU u need

N' even i'm pretty much sure ..that the lag in the game would not be b'coz of ur psu ..it's rather more likely to be somethin' to do with ur OS or graphic card driver

Thanks guys, it seems my computer doing just fine! I have been busy, sorry it so long to get back. The computer rated "1400" on www.pcpitstop.com My game is working better since I tried all of your suggestions but a new power supply. I am still using the ond one since my total power need was aprox. 267. A nice buffer of about 30 is just fine with me. My future investments will be at least 512k of more ram and a better video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom