Older Comp Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasker

Baseband Member
I just got a bunch of old parts from a friend. He gave me two cases with mobos and hdds and cpus in them. One of the computers work. The other I havnt tried. However, the one that did work would give me an error while running its post that the CMOS battery failed. I don't even see a CMOS battery on the board!

Anyways, question is.....
The board is an old one. It takes the old EDO ram and has a Socket7 mobo. The cpu in it right now is a 150mhz. I have a 233mhz Socket7 cpu and I was wondering if it would work? :confused:

Instead of asking this question just try to replace the CPU and see if it works. In the worst case the CPU will be fried but it won't happened.

Ok, since I've got an older computer I know exactly what to do. Ok, if you were to put the 233Mhz chip in there it would probably not work. Why? Because the 233Mhz chip takes more voltage etc. Back then you couldn't just put the CPU in and let the motherboard do the rest. Back then you had to use these old things called jumpers! :p Ok, first of all figure out what kind of motherboard it is. The company that makes it, and what kind. Once you find that out punch it into google and look for a manual. Also go to intel.com and go to the processor spec finder and look up your CPU to figure out how much voltage etc it needs. Once you find the manual change all the jumpers to where they should be. Put in the 233Mhz CPU and pray it works. If you still can't figure it out, then reply back and I'll explain it a little better.

Well, right now its pointless. Power supply just died on me...:(
Bleh, if it ain't one thing its another. Maybe I can find someone with a pile of them and wouldn't mind giving me one.
Speaking of piles...if anyone has any old parts they don't want I might be interested.
Heres what Im interested in:
AT Socket7 mobo with AGP and about 4-5 PCI slots(perhaps some ram to go with it)
heatsink for 233MMX and fan (if possible)

However, I do know what your talking about and so far I can't find any jumpers that even look like they are related to the cpu. This will be a biatch to figure out, but I like the challenge. :)

Thanks!

I'll PM you, Rasker.

When you get some power to the board you want to do as FireFox says. Do research on the mainboard, find the manual, read up on the jumpers, etc., then start toying with it. That suggestion to just put it in and see what happens - worse case it fries out - only do that if you don't really give a damn. Since you posted first, i'm assuming you give a damn (otherwise why bother trying to learn how to do it the right way). :)

Ares said:
That suggestion to just put it in and see what happens - worse case it fries out - only do that if you don't really give a damn. Since you posted first, i'm assuming you give a damn (otherwise why bother trying to learn how to do it the right way). :)

Exactly :)

It wouldn't frie out. For one the P150 takes less power than the P233.....it would just be underclocked or it just wouldn't work.

Edit: I think I through out most of my AT power supplies, but I might have 1 or 2 left. I have a bunch of ATX power supplies. I have a few socket 7 mobos (not ATX but AT).......I also have a slot 1 P2 350Mhz CPU and a mobo that can support it (it's atx and takes sdram...not sure if it has agp..i forget)

I also have a cooler.....but it's really loud....your best bet is just to find a heatsink...put it on there......take a case fan (yes, a case fan) and somehow strap it on to the heatsink (i found that to be very effective ^_^)

Hmmmm...
That P2 350 catches my eye. See, the reason why Im building this comp is to share mp3s on irc. Also, at some point in time I will be setting up a ShoutCAST server. Mainly just for downloading mp3s, sharing mp3s, and having an irc channel bot running on one. Nothing too hard core :p

Im interested in that P2 350 tho, if you would like to sell it.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew what this was.
It came with the other computer and has a yellow led attached by wire to it and a pass through connector connected by wire like a fan. On the back theres alot of jumpers and on the front is a 3 digit display that shows 16 when I plug it up in my computer. Is this a voltage meter or something?

EDIT:
BTW, my other PSU just blew up. Literally......
Plugged it up and flipped the switch and POP smoke rolled out of the socket and the PSU. Luckily I didnt have it plugged up to the motherboard or anything else except the switch.

Today just ain't my day.....:mad:

Im interested in that P2 350 tho, if you would like to sell it.

sure, make a offer.....

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew what this was.
It came with the other computer and has a yellow led attached by wire to it and a pass through connector connected by wire like a fan. On the back theres alot of jumpers and on the front is a 3 digit display that shows 16 when I plug it up in my computer. Is this a voltage meter or something?

I'm the type of person that I gotta see it.....so if you could post a pic that would help.

EDIT:
BTW, my other PSU just blew up. Literally......
Plugged it up and flipped the switch and POP smoke rolled out of the socket and the PSU. Luckily I didnt have it plugged up to the motherboard or anything else except the switch.

that sux... o_O..i've had that happen before...and i've had a monitor blow up on me.....and i've had something go flying out of the side of a computer once (Still to this day i don't know what it was.....but the computer still worked...something glowing orange litterally flew out of the side of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom