Windows XP Professional help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrillian

In Runtime
Greetings,

I recently builr a new rig from the ground up.

Though the system seems to run smoothly I am unable to install games (COD2, Doom3, FarCry, etc..)

When I attempt to install them the Install Wizard starts up, collects pertinent data then come to a grinding halt when it attempts to create the file folders (i.e. C:\Program files\Activision)

The error returned is: 1317. An error ocurred while attempting to create the directory C:\Program Files\Activision

I also attempted to install some Nvidia drivers for the Mobo but was denied access.

The OS (XP Pro) is brand new and is legit, puchased at PC Club

I am the only user (administrator) and there is only one account.

Any pointers, or suggestions. I already spent over an hour on the phone with support to no avail, they are supposed to call back tomorrow...

I also re-loaded the OS as a re-install/repair (not via the Recovery Console)

Thanks for helping with this headache.

Yes, It is drive C.

Also, The MoBo is not detecting it as a SATA, but as an IDE device (displayed as such in the BIOS menu. I believe that this has to do with the Master Boot File.
Could this be a factor?

Cheers

Up until now I was sure....?

It is connected with a SATA connectors (power and MoBo interface).

Could the System still mistake it for an IDE device?

Could this be related to the Master Boot File from the factory?

Thanks for your time...

SATA%20Signal%20Cable-1.jpg

they look like that?

I would suggest a format and fresh install!! stupid stuff like this can happen when you only repair because you changed the hardware!

First....thank you for your assistance.

I was able to make some changes:

I re-booted in Safe Mode, then logged on as the default Administrator. I took ownership of all Folders and Files and gave permission to Everybody (I am the sole user of this system).

Now I am able to load software w/o a problem!

Unfortunatley I noe longer have System Restore. I attempted to re-boot in Safe Mode and see if I could activate the System Restore. I can not. I am waiting to hear from Microsoft so that I can resolve this issue. In the meantime... any thoughts?

I have attempted the usual methods (via the Control Panel and the System Tools) to no avail.

Thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom