AMD 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
003 said:
And here lies the problem. All the programs that take advantage of a dual core CPU, will not take advantage of quad cores. They would have to be re-written to actually make use of the 2 extra cores. It's like playing Quake 3 with SLI, there is no improvement because it is not written to support it. That, and the fact that it will be insanely expensive.

I thought it was single-threaded and multi-threaded? If you code single-threaded apps, they run best on single cores, and multi-threaded apps run bust on 2+ cores.

Its the same way w/ PhysX cards right now, eventualy it will be welcomed like 2gig of ram. Just chill on it, im sure they know what they are doing. I look at it this way, they are the ones making the big bucks, not us, so lets let them decide whats best shall we? Its pointless to argue over it and just stick our own feet in our mouth when we find out were wrong.

P.P. Mguire said:
Its the same way w/ PhysX cards right now, eventualy it will be welcomed like 2gig of ram. Just chill on it, im sure they know what they are doing. I look at it this way, they are the ones making the big bucks, not us, so lets let them decide whats best shall we? Its pointless to argue over it and just stick our own feet in our mouth when we find out were wrong.

I doubt Aegia is making much money of the PhysX cards. I really don't see them going anywhere with it. Even their own game created just for the PhysX card didn't get much added when playing with and without the PhysX card.

It's always fun to debate (not argue) about these kinds of things because they affect our lives. And if you are wrong, it won't kill you.

Its like ive been saying all along, just like SLI it needs to be built upon and perfected for it to work properly. It just came out and you guys are dogging it. Wait for it to be worked upon and some games to actualy start using it. I remember the first DX9 games, they sucked. Remember?

gurusan said:
Isn't AMD working on a reverse hyperthreading thing? Wouldn't that be a solution to all these damned cores?

Yes, they are working on something like that. It would make 2+ physical cores look as though it is one. This would increase the performance in single-threaded applications. Personally, I want to know what it is going to do on multi-threaded applications? Would it make them slower? Or what if you run 2 apps at the same time, would that be slower with ReverseHyperThreading on?

P.P. Mguire said:
Its like ive been saying all along, just like SLI it needs to be built upon and perfected for it to work properly. It just came out and you guys are dogging it. Wait for it to be worked upon and some games to actualy start using it. I remember the first DX9 games, they sucked. Remember?

SLI is a good idea, but it isn't too realistic. Why spend double the amount of money of video cards for about 5%-10% increase? I really think SLI may be in danger with the next-gen card releases. SLI has been solid since its release. Crossfire has been through many hurdles, but with ATI's X1900 series, Crossfire is amazing. I would like to see how much SLI/Crossfire increase with the next gen cards. I think a neat idea would be to put 2 GPU's (or a dual core GPU) on one board instead of having to waste space and have 2 very large cards. Have the SLI/Crossfire interconnect built into the card.

AnthraX said:
I thought it was single-threaded and multi-threaded? If you code single-threaded apps, they run best on single cores, and multi-threaded apps run bust on 2+ cores.
No. Thats not how it works.

I think a neat idea would be to put 2 GPU's (or a dual core GPU) on one board instead of having to waste space and have 2 very large cards.
They have these and they suck as bad as SLI does. Dual core GPUs though, thats something to think about.

P.P. Mguire said:
They have these and they suck as bad as SLI does. Dual core GPUs though, thats something to think about.

The ones you are refering to weren't tested/research/built by Nvidia. They were pretty much just a really hardcore mod to put 2 cards into one. If Nvidia (or Ati) had the right motivation they could get that idea working.

loosejello said:
Aren't the G80s supposed to have dual core GPUs?

I haven't heard anything about it, and I don't want to completely throw away the idea. But I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom